Just Labradors banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of a book suitable for a five year old that explains/would prepare a child for the day when their dog has to be PTS? TIA

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
Uh oh Pat. Is anything wrong?

·
Registered
12,420 Posts
I have the I'll Always Love You book and it's very touching and handles it beautifully. However it doesn't address the PTS thing.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Personally, I don't think you tell the 5-year-old about euthanasia (and probably you didn't mean to). Any of these books should help the child deal with the pet's death. When my son was 5 we had to euthanize our old terrier, and we told my son that she was sick and had to go to the vet. Subsequently we told him she had died at the vet, but not that it was our decision to do it then. When they're older they'll understand that better.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you everyone. Our grandson is starting to ask some questions along with the fact that neither of my daughter's dogs are having a good year. They are going on 13 and the bad days are starting to out number the good days.

I've gotten a lot of good suggestions from people. Have to sort through them.

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
Sorry, not any help here but everyone has given some good ideas and gudiance where to look. And kudos for trying to prepare the kids for the inevitable. Good luck; itis always harder when children are involved.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Personally, I don't think you tell the 5-year-old about euthanasia (and probably you didn't mean to). Any of these books should help the child deal with the pet's death. When my son was 5 we had to euthanize our old terrier, and we told my son that she was sick and had to go to the vet. Subsequently we told him she had died at the vet, but not that it was our decision to do it then. When they're older they'll understand that better.
I agree. Euthanasia may be too complicated to explain to young children. But, I do believe in being straight forward about death. The important facts are:
Death is natural
Death is "ok" (the animal feels no fear nor pain)
Grieving takes time and is normal and healthy (let him know you share the pain)
Cherish the memories

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
THE LOSS OF A PET by William Sife, PhD, has a whole section on explaining to a child. This an excellent book, was given to me when my heart dog died.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts