Just Labradors banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With Saber having all of his health problems vet recommended I change him from Diamond to Eukanbua weight control/weight loss formula. Something in the formula better for health problems. I know that some believe this is all a gimmick but after spending over $1300 and still no answer I'm willing to try anything. Question, is this really a gimmick? I tried cutting him back on the other food (regular diamond then to diamond lo-fat sometimes maintenance) and increased his exercise which he did lose weight but was still over weight. The vet did not want me to go overboard with the exercise. Since I have changed him over to Eukanbua he has more infrequent bowel movements. With Diamond he would only go 2X's a day with Eukanuba I have notice at least 4 times with no time time Constancy. Now with all the recalls I'm considering changing him to organic. Any advice I would greatly appreciate!! I'm at my wits end.

·
Registered
506 Posts
How long has he been on the Eukanuba? My dogs are both on it and we have no poop issues. Maggie who is older goes 2x a day and Finn goes 3 times a day. maybe his system is still getting used to the change in food?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Health issues...about 2 months ago he went to er vet for very high liver count over 5600 ( not sure what the liver prob is all about) and he has lyme disease. I'm starting to also think he may have kidney probs because he has all the symptoms they are talking about with this food recall. He as never been feed any of those recalls though.

He has been on this food about month.

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
Saber'sMom -- in what state do you live (or live near)?

I think a Schl/CollVetMed might give you more definitive answers. Many of them take self-referrals and those that do not will accept referrals from your vet.

You can send me a PM and I'll send back websites of any nearby.

Eukanuba isn't a bad food but Diamond Naturals (IMO) has better ingredients. Regular Diamond also used to have very good ingredients but recently they introduced their "Naturals" line and started adding cereal grains to the Diamond so it's a lower level food with more fillers now.

The company that makes Diamond does not advertise, instead depending on word of mouth. So that leaves more $$ for quality ingredients.

Is your vet selling you the Eukanuba? If so, I'd be very suspicious......

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
Every dog is different so we can't say yes switch for sure. I know Mocha went at least 4x per day on Nutro Natural but she only goes 1 or 2x per day on the ProPac she's on now. Sometimes it has to do with the amount of fiber in the food sometimes I think it's just the amount of fillers they use in the food. Even with the more holistic type foods your dog may do great or may not. They are normally much richer so you don't have to feed as much but it is too rich for some dogs and they have stomach problems with it. Trial and error.

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
As mentioned, Eukanuba has many fillers and hence, produce more poops.

Curious is your vet sell it as well.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Could you possibly do raw? Dogs with weight gain issues and medical problems usually do great on a raw diet.

I wouldn't use a lite or low calorie form of dog food period. If you really want to use kibble get to know how many calories are suggested for her goal weight and cut portions. The lite foods are really just filled with tons of fillers that pass right through your dog and can cause more health problems.

·
Registered
12,928 Posts
As long as the protein of the Diamond is okay for him, I would continue to feed the Diamond; just cut back on the amount and substitute green beans as a filler. Use veggies as treats for him. If you use canned green beans, rinse them first. The vets are gonna push the Eukanuba because that and Science Diet is what they are taught and sell! ;)

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
I actually went from Eukanbua lb puppy food, to diamond natural chicken and rice and Sammi is doing much better with her Skin, ears etc.- I'm with others, does your vet sell the Eukanbua? I know Sammi's first vet did.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Raw is not always the answer to a dog with health problems and issues. I found that out the hard way. Even after I researched it to death (over 3 years) before I took the plunge to try raw because I was having in crammed down me that it would be the answer to all my prayers... I watched take a sum-what unhealthy dog and over 6-9 months go from bad to worse. I in fact thought she was going to die.
Raw, just like the varieties of kibble are an individual thing. There is no miracle diet cure and no one certain fix for health problems.

There are some great sites out there about dogs with liver problems and I think even email list or support group you may want to look into. I think there has been some research into the low fat foods no longer being the necessary route for dogs with liver problems.
Do you have a definite answer to what is wrong with the liver? I would find out.

**I just want to say that I am not trying to be argumentative and come across "anti-raw" and pro-grain feeding. But these feeding options just are not the only alternative and they are not the holy grail of dog food health.**
I do have my opinions on raw - such as I would never feed it to a puppy. That is my own personal feeling. But I have no problem with the raw diet at all. It is just not the cure for everything. I also do not advocate putting an unhealthy dog on a raw diet until you are full aware of everything that is wrong with that dog and NOT to do it blindly but with the aid of a canine nutritionist who is well versed in raw. I think you can end up doing more harm than good.

·
Registered
12,928 Posts
Well, said, Kim. I kind of get tired of hearing "raw" is the answer for everything, when like everything else, it depends on the dog. I'm definitely not against it, but it's not for me at this point and time. I would also caution anyone who is thinking of going homecooked or raw to study the nutrient requirements before jumping on board. I homecooked for Zoe for a while and did a lot of research ... calcium to protein ratio, etc.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Sorry I didn't see this earlier but the FDA is having Eukanuba/Iams change their diet DRY and canned food because Iams was putting in an ingredient that is not aproved for dog consumption. I don't think its a big problem but thought you should be aware of it. This is the link to the story.
http://money.cnn.com/2007/03/29/news/iam_pet_food.reut/index.htm

Kelly and Amber

1 - 14 of 14 Posts