Just Labradors banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to a new salon this summer to get my hair done. I have an appt with the owner of the salon. Do you tip the owner?

My Mom does, my Gram says no way, that it is not customary to tip the owner.

I usually leave a hair dresser 20% and the shampoo girl/boy 2-3$. So, is this "dont tip the owner" rule archaic and no longer followed?

·
Registered
413 Posts
My mom NEVER tipped the owner (Maria) but as she was walking out the door she'd put a $5 down and tell Maria to get herself a burger for lunch or something ;) She always told me that you never tip the owner.

·
Registered
9,226 Posts
Technically I think you aren't obligated to tip the owner.

I tip the owner anyway. 20%. Just to be on the safe side. I don't want to insult anyone.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I've never even heard of tipping the owner - and I'm not sure I even know who that is. I always have anxiety over how much to tip the stylist.

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
If it were the owner styling my hair, I'd tip him/her as I would any other stylist for their time and work. That's just me; I would feel weird not leaving a tip.

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sara said:
I've never even heard of tipping the owner - and I'm not sure I even know who that is. I always have anxiety over how much to tip the stylist.
The owner is going to be doing my hair, Sara. Not just one of the stylists...and there is an older tradition that says you tip your stylist unless they are also the salon owner. But, I don't think it is recognized as much anymore. I think people tip the owner as they would their regular hair dresser.

Molly, I'm with you... If I really like how she does my hair, I am going to tip. If not? I will probably tip but not go back and not tip as much as I normally do.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
I go to the owner of the salon where I get my hair done. She always takes her time and does a great job (well, I think so at least!) so I always tip her as I would any other stylist (20%). It never even occurred to me not to tip her because she is the owner. I say tip her :)

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
From http://beauty.ivillage.com/hair/hairfaq/0,,7v4f4dwh-p,00.html

Do You Tip The Owner?

What customers do: The commonly held belief is that you shouldn't tip the salon owner if she or he does your hair. But more and more customers do.

What salon staff wants you to do: That rule really doesn't apply anymore. Go ahead, tip the owner.

Susan, come here. The gal who does my hair did a really great job on my highlights the other day. The best she's ever done. :)

J

·
0 Posts
Labmom2Sun said:
If it were the owner styling my hair, I'd tip him/her as I would any other stylist for their time and work. That's just me; I would feel weird not leaving a tip.
That's what I do as well. It is a small salon with only two stylists. My good friend used to be the other stylist. I'm friends with the owner as well. No matter which of them cut my hair, I always gave 20%.

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
labby said:
From http://beauty.ivillage.com/hair/hairfaq/0,,7v4f4dwh-p,00.html

Do You Tip The Owner?

What customers do: The commonly held belief is that you shouldn't tip the salon owner if she or he does your hair. But more and more customers do.

What salon staff wants you to do: That rule really doesn't apply anymore. Go ahead, tip the owner.

Susan, come here. The gal who does my hair did a really great job on my highlights the other day. The best she's ever done. :)
I really liked your highlights Laura, they were perfect. Not to chunky, perfect color and very natural. She does a really good job.
I dont like when it looks piecey and fake ::) or brassy.

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
My regular girls was booked when i had mt last appt, so th eowner did it. When I went to pay, the receptionist gave me the total and said Tony doesn't accept tips. This was the first I ever heard of this, but it was nice of her to tell me

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
I would tip her but if she is like my stylist/owner she will refuse it. I just make sure I tip the shampoo person well and at Christmas time I give the shop owner a gift card to a restaurant in a card with a note of thanks.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I have heard from a salon owner that you do not have to tip the owner of the salon.
I just felt awkward not tipping her when I went there so I always tipped.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Is there anyone in America who doesn't get tipped?

I can't remember the last time I have tipped anyone for anything!!

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
G'day,

Yeah, I'm with mattgusmum, thought when I usaed to deliver fish n chips I'd occaisionally get "Don't worry about the change mate" but its certainly not the norm down here.
The closest I can think of is if someone does a small job for you, or say rips out a part from the wreckers for nix, then ya give them a 6-pack of beer to say Thanks, but thats about it.

Cheers,

Pottsie

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
I tip regardless.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts