Just Labradors banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a bit of a problem with Toby and Chamois and the problem of (not) sleeping through the night. I'm not sure how easy it will (or won't) be to change some habits.

Toby started sleeping on the bed with us at about 6 months old, he's now 17 months old and HUGE. Even Mark (whose idea it was to let Toby in the bed) has conceded that sleeping in contorted yoga positions in order to accommodate a 100 pound lab is a bit uncomfortable. We started crate training Chamois from day 1 and she started really well with it. In the evenings at bedtime, I tell her "go to your room" and she goes straight in without a problem and then I drape a blanket around it to cover her view out. Her crate is in our bedroom, and has been from the beginning. She started sleeping all the way through the night when she was about 4 months old, and so I thought she was the dream pup.

However, while I was away for 6 weeks, Mark started letting both dogs sleep in the bed. Of course Chamois loved it, she's a serious snuggler. When I came back, I tried the group thing for one night, but even being seriously jetlagged, I couldn't sleep and said enough this is ridiculous. I felt like I was performing in Cirque du Soleil every night. So I've started making Toby get off the bed and on the floor and Chamois go back in her crate when it's time for bed. Neither likes it. Toby sneaks up on the bed, generally on Mark's side since he knows Mark won't kick him off. And Chamois has taken to crying that she needs a potty break somewhere between 2:00 and 4:00 AM (weekdays, the alarm goes off at 6:00), and she still makes that high-pitched puppy whine that could shatter glass. Since she's not quite 7 months old, I always take her outside (without saying much to her, I don't pet her or play with her, it's just out and then straight back in). She always pees, but then she races upstairs and jumps into bed before I get there - I put her back in her crate, where she'll fuss for a bit but then finally settle. But I'm exhausted. I have not gotten an uninterrupted night's sleep since I got home 5 weeks ago (even if he's the one to take her out, I wake up).

Now it's Mark's turn to be gone for a month on business, and so I'll be single parenting it. I feel like a the ultimate Meanie Mommie, but I'm at my wits' end about how to get a decent night's sleep. With the bed to myself, it wouldn't be a big deal to let them in, but then I'll NEVER get them out when Mark gets back and there isn't as much space. Besides, it's getting warm here, and I really don't relish the idea of hot, humid Houston nights with two labs in bed, radiating even more heat. It's not that I don't love my dogs, I do. But I'd rather they sleep somewhere other than the bed.

Should I start making Chamois sleep in another room so I don't hear her when she fusses? I'm pretty sure she's capable of holding it for a whole night, she's done it before, this fussing in the wee hours (pun intended) seems more like a habit she's developing as a way to get attention than a real need - although she does always potty when I do take her out. So maybe she still can't hold it? I do try to ignore her for a while to see if she'll settle, but even if she does, she's already woken me up with her crying. I just hate to put her where I can't hear her in case she really is incapable of holding it that long. And yes, I had her checked for a UTI a week ago, and the results came back negative.

And Toby? Getting him to start off the night on the floor is easy, he's learning to do that. But he's also learning that if he sneaks up later he can often get away with it... unless he makes the error of coming over to my side. Last night I found myself pretzeled up in a bizarre contortion on less than 1/4 of the bed and Toby spread out at the foot of the bed on my side, and I made him get on the floor. He gave me a baleful look, but he did it. Of course, he was over on Mark's side by the time the alarm went off.

What do you think? Is it hopeless? Has anyone else had to make their labs re-learn bedroom rules, or change them? Any luck?

Sorry this is so long. Must be my over-tired rambling... ;)

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Oh boy! :-\ No great advice, just wanted to say I can sort of empathize. It can be so hard to change habits, especially about where they are/are not allowed to be at certain times.

We eventually had to cave and start letting Simon sleep out of his crate because, like you, we had to do what we had to do to be able to get some sleep! The crying went on night after night and did not seem to be getting any better. :-\ If I didn't have to work and neither did Kevin, maybe we could have tried to outlast it. But sometimes you just have to bend a little to keep the peace!

I hope you can figure something out. I know several people at the club who spray with a water bottle when dogs are getting fussy in their crates. Think something like that would work?

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know, maybe the water bottle would work on Chamois. Except Toby would probably want to play with it. ;D

I just re-read the top, and realized I sound really whiny! ::) I do know we'll all get through this and work something out, it's just a bit frustrating right now. And I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions that might make the process a little easier.

Or I could just move into the guest room! ;)

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I think Orvis makes a dog bed that is at the same height as your bed. It's pretty expensive but maybe you could make something like it.
Olie

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
How about two nice soft plushy beds for them to sleep in..right next to your bed at night?????
And then constantly reinforcing the down command to make them go to THEIR beds??
Jackie

TobysTrix said:
I don't know, maybe the water bottle would work on Chamois. Except Toby would probably want to play with it. ;D

I just re-read the top, and realized I sound really whiny! ::) I do know we'll all get through this and work something out, it's just a bit frustrating right now. And I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions that might make the process a little easier.

Or I could just move into the guest room! ;)

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
JackieN said:
How about two nice soft plushy beds for them to sleep in..right next to your bed at night?????
I forgot to mention that they do have dog beds both upstairs and down. They ignore them nearly completely, and when they lay on them it's not to sleep but to chew a toy. When they nap in the living room, it's either on the couch or on the marble hearth in front of the fireplace, so a hard surface isn't the problem. Sometimes, when they sleep upstairs, they choose the tile floor in the bathroom. However, the cats LOVE the dog beds, so not all is lost!

Now, maybe if I sleep on the dog bed... :D

Thanks for the suggestions, though.

·
Registered
16,129 Posts
Crate both of them. That's what we do with Theo. When someone is out of town he gets to sleep on the bed, but otherwise he's in the crate. He knows the routine, he's fine with it, but if he's not in the crate he's trying to get in our bed.

As for little Chamois, I think you've answered your own question:

She always pees, but then she races upstairs and jumps into bed before I get there
I don't think it has anything to do with peeing at this stage. She's old enough; I'm sure she can hold it through the night. You just need to continue with the Mean Mommy routine, and she'll settle down. Get some earplugs and a noise generator and toss back a few shots before bed; I'm not sure what else to tell you. :)

Good luck!

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
theoconbrio said:
Crate both of them.
You just need to continue with the Mean Mommy routine
That's what I'm thinking. Mark leaves on Sunday, and then I think it's Mom's Boot Camp at home - we're going to re-establish some rules that have slid while I was away, and develop some new good habits while we're at it. I am definitely the stricter of the two of us (though not through negative reinforcement or punishment), so while I am the single parent this month, it's Mom's Rules.

·
Registered
16,129 Posts
Gosh, you're so mean. :)

Just one thing: We would let Theo cuddle on the bed while we were reading before turning out the light. It got so he really didn't want to get off the bed and go in his crate. So I started hiding a little treat in the crate before bedtime. Now when I say "time for bed!" he WHIPS off the bed and runs into his crate to find his treat. :)

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
:D Theo!

Angus cannot get to his crate fast enough at night either, and it's totally for the treat. In fact, he will stare at you impatiently if he thinks it's about time...all you have to say is, "Ya wanna go to bed?" And he FLIES up the stairs and is standing in his crate wagging his tail by the time I get there. :D

·
Registered
219 Posts
Well when we added a second dog (Cherry) my husband and I both knew we could not ALL fit in the bed even though it is king size. Haley our three year old has always slept in our bed from the day we rescued her and our new rescue thought she could too. I had to take control but I did compromise and bought a nice futon that is very close to our bed and it is just as high and that is what our new addition sleeps on. That seemed to work. In fact there are times when Haley gets off our bed and goes to the futon to sleep with Cherry and its plenty big for the two of them. There were several nights when Cherry tried to get on our bed but I had to be strong and led her back to the futon and make her stay there. A few nights of that and she doesn't even try our bed anymore. I'd love it if I could find an extra large king bed where we could all sleep together but until then I think I found a happy median. Good luck!

·
Registered
5,915 Posts
i have a friend who has a greyhound who LOVES to sleep in their bed. even complying with off! commands at the time it is given was frustrating, bc the dog would sneak up when the humans fell asleep. they didn't want to do the crate in the bedroom, so they provided a comfy easy easy chair or large ottoman (i cannot remember which) in the bedroom for the dog to use. it seems to work for them.

if you can get her back in the routine of cratetime at bedtime, you'd be all set, but of course the road to getting there won't be easy. good luck. :)

edit to add: i feel your pain of waking up in the middle of the night for the dogs. we are working on potty training for penny, and sometimes she whines 2 times per night. all three dogs sleep in our bedroom with us, and penny sleeps in her little soft crate beside our bed. i don't think she understands the concept of controlling her bladder/bowls vs. letting go whenever nature calls. lately i've noticed luke and taylor being more active at bedtime, too, and reading your post is reminding me that their routine is changing, so i need to be better about establishing the routine that I want them to follow, to the best of their ability of course, but still, if i let the routine set itself for longer and longer period of time, i'm going to be in a world of trouble trying to get it back on my schedule.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
I am sorry, but I am LOL here...cirque de soleil LOL. Crates. It's the only answer. I could not even keep a dog crate in the same room as me, because I am such a light sleeper, and would hear her turn around, kick the sides, etc. Crated each in seperate rooms.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts