Just Labradors banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now this is not intended in any way to bring up the whole Speak English or Go Home issue, but I thought this was pretty funny.

We just finished a project that went exceptionally well for everybody. The owner's representative sent us a very nice thank you note and reference. However, the Rep is from Vietnam, and while he gets his point across, it is not exactly the Kings' English.

He finished the letter with "Exceedingly Submersely Appreciated".

We're pretty sure it means With Deep Appreciation, but already everybody in the office is saying thank you to each other by saying I Submersely Appreciate that.

·
Registered
16,129 Posts
Bwahahahaha. I love that!

Not exactly ESL, but same result: I am helping to host a high-school exchange student from Brazil right now, and we went to talk to a counselor about his classes. This guy (the counselor) is not exactly the brightest bulb, but he tries to sound professional by using big words. His first question:

"Is he interested in a particular course of study, or does he just want to appease his comfort level?"

His host parent and I looked at each other, and she said, "I think he wants some appeasement." We signed him up for soccer and photography.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
There's a chatty whore joke in here somewhere.. but i have to finish this ppt ...

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Back at my old office, I had many examples of Janglish. They use a little interpreter program that gives them several English choices for a Japanese word, and invariably they would choose one that wasn't 'quite right.' Wish I could get my hands on some of them now!

·
Registered
13,130 Posts
When I was in school I had a friend that was from Holland. There would always be something that he didn't quite get right. He would say something and we would just stare at him for a second to figure out what he meant. We called it the "Jacko Delay". LOL I was dressed up at school one day and he said, "Pemie, you look very well today. Do you have an application?" <insert Jacko Delay> I said, "Oh thank you, no I don't have a job interview, I have a presentation." Thanks for letting me remember my friend.:) I wish I hadn't lost track of him when I moved. He was a lost of fun and a good friend. He was always getting taken advantage of unfortunatley.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts