Just Labradors banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Garry called to say he has been coughing. I can't get a vet apt until tomorrow so will either have to wait until then or if not good the emergency vet. I am waiting for someone to releive me so I can go home.

Anyone had a dog start coughing suddenly. I thought I heard him once or twice last night, but he seemed fine and ate his breakfast.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Is he all UTD with his vax? I'm wondering if it could be kennel cough? ....or....Do you get all the grass seeds at this time of year? If the coughing started suddenly, was it after going for a walk? Maybe he inhaled a seed? Coughing can be any number of things so best to get it checked if it continues.

·
Registered
9,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I got home and he was coughing non stop, then hurked up black things. By the time I got to the vet he seemed better and perky in the vets. I thought maybe I should have left it. The black things was cotton and felt silly taking a dog for hurking up cotton.

The vet put his hands around his throat and set the coughing off again. He has an inflammed Trachea and the vet isn't sure if he has something lodged (hence the cotton) or bronchitis, or some other thing making his trachea inflammed.

He said to be very careful for the next 24 hours as he could go down hill very quickly and the best thing I did was take him out. If he coughs more, stops eating, or start vomitting more than the clear fluid to go to the emergency vet immediately. He sent the notes through to the emergency vet in case I need to go.
He started him on antibitoics and increase his Pred.
If he is no better in 24 hours they are going to xray and put a tube down. Went about surgery, but that is maybe a vets thinking too far ahead.
He really isn't good now and coughing non stop as if he is trying to get something up. He may feel better once he sleeps.

Janice he got into the stream yesterday and put his head under the water digging up sticks. The vet said he may have got a bug?

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
Poor Ernst! I hope he is better soon!

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
I said a prayer for Erns. Please let us know how he does...

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
Poor Erns (and poor you, you've had enough to deal with lately). Prayers that it resolves itself and Erns is better soon.

·
Registered
5,794 Posts
Sending thoughts and prayers your way.

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
Chris, I really hope this is something minor and clears up soon. Sending good thoughts for Ernie.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I enjoyed the photos of Erns and my thoughts are with you all. I really hope he feels better by now. Let us know how he is doing.
Judy and Jack

1 - 20 of 21 Posts