Just Labradors banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is a lovely Autumn day here and Erns started shivering after his swim.

I put his coat on him and he is still shivering. Is this o.k or should we see an emergency vet.
He seems fine otherwise.

Update. Sorry This topped off a bad day and when i got home had a wine or two and fell asleep in front of T.V.

He stopped shivering 5 mins after getting into the car. The emergency vet said he seemed fine and couldn't explain why he would be shivering. His records from Massey haven't been sent down and the vet was more interested in what the vets at Massey vet hospital had done.

My BIL later told me he had shivered a few times after swims, but not this long. I hit the roof. Erns has been up at the beach for a few days and I had just got there.

Will ring Massey today and ask what could be going on.

I appreciate your help. Thank you.

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
Re: Ernie has been shivering for an hour. advice please

In a situation like that I would probably call the emergency vet, up here they're usually pretty good at listening to you and telling you whether or not it can wait until morning, what it might be, etc.

Do you have a thermometer? I'd check and see if he has a temperature first and foremost and go from there. (rectal temp is usually a little higher than ear).

·
Registered
11,079 Posts

Chris,

Shivering does seem a little unusual. I'd give the E-Vet a call and maybe put a blanket over him or maybe cuddle with him.

·
Registered
9,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Oh crap. I rang our vet who said keep him warm and hopefully the sun in the car may help. We are at the beach, It is Sunday and traffic will be heavy so it is going to take at least an hour and a half or more to get him to a vet.

As he was signed off from massey I can't take him there.

·
Registered
11,079 Posts

Hopefully the sun in the car will help. Maybe you can keep the windows up and put a little heat on. Let us know how Erns is doing. I hope everything is okay.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts

How is Ernie now? Hope he's 100% okay.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts

Just seeing this now Chris. I hope he is OK...please update

·
Registered
3,082 Posts

Normally shivering is a sign of fever. I hope he is ok.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts

How is Ernie doing now? I hope everything is alright.

·
Registered
11,079 Posts

Chris,

How's Ernie? I've been thinking about him.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts

Chris
please update us as aoon as you can I hope Ernie is ok

·
Registered
16,129 Posts
It happened to Theo once. Our theory was that he drank an enormous amount of lake water and either chilled himself or got his electrolytes out of balance (bonked, basically). He ate a bit, peed about 5 times, and was fine thereafter. Hope it's something similarly innocuous with Ernie.

·
Registered
9,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
theoconbrio said:
It happened to Theo once. Our theory was that he drank an enormous amount of lake water and either chilled himself or got his electrolytes out of balance (bonked, basically). He ate a bit, peed about 5 times, and was fine thereafter. Hope it's something similarly innocuous with Ernie.
Thank you for this.
Ernie always pees heaps after a swim and gets ravenous. Maybe he needs more to eat after a swim to help keep him warmer.In the cooler months I put warm wheat bags on him after a swim. I will try that now as he may not have enough fat on his body to keep him warm.
Yesterday it was half an hour.

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
I'm relieved to know he's okay now, Chris. You just relax now and stroke on that bad boy. Tell him Flynn's mom loves him to pieces but quit scaring your own momma that way!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts