Just Labradors banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
catch a coyote! This highways has, I don't know, 4-6 lanes each direction.

I think I was one of the last cars that got to go through before they stopped traffic. When I went by there were already a few police cars, Hoosier Helpers (vans that patrol the highways and help stranded motorists) and Animal Control. At that point the coyote was walking along the concrete barrier that separates the north and south bound lanes!

I didn't even realize it was a coyote until I heard it on a traffic report. It was HUGE! I guess I've never seen one that close before.

So, a coyote stops about 12 lanes of traffic in rush hour in Indianapolis. I don't know why but that cracks me up.

(They didn't even catch him. He got away.)

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Wow, you saw it?! I've never seen one, but hear them by my house sometimes. I picture them as werewolves for some reason. LOL

Why were they trying to catch it anyway?

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Because it was a traffic hazard. It's REALLY busy there in the mornings. Right then it was in the median, but if it darted into traffic....

Yep, I saw it - it did kinda look like a werewolf. =)

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
I would doubt that they will capture or even attempt to capture. That coyote is either going to have to run off or get shot. Not exactly like trying to get a dog to come, or even getting close enough with a catch stick. They are truly wild animals and not used to being approached by peeps.

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
That is kind of funny. lol.

I've seen one near the Toronto Airport. IT was crazy, because it is very much a city area. A big city at that.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would doubt that they will capture or even attempt to capture. That coyote is either going to have to run off or get shot. Not exactly like trying to get a dog to come, or even getting close enough with a catch stick. They are truly wild animals and not used to being approached by peeps.
As I mentioned in my post, he did get away, BUT they did get close enough. There's a video clip online and the lady with the stick got right up behind him and started to hook him and I thought she was going to get him, but he shimmied out of it, hopped off the concrete wall and ran away.

When I drove by I actually saw them approaching him. They very much were trying to catch him.

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
Who was nuts there? The coyote or the hunters? I am really surprised they would actually try to catch it. I can see them doing it with a circus animal, or even some exotic pet. n animal that actually was cared for by someone and used to people. But wildlife, I just don't know. Its not like a coyote is an endangered species.

·
Registered
13,130 Posts
Coyotes are not big animals. They are smaller than our Labs for sure. SU went Coyote hunting last Friday night. His friend got one in January.

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
Coyotes are not big animals. They are smaller than our Labs for sure. SU went Coyote hunting last Friday night. His friend got one in January.
Maybe in your neck of the woods, but some Coyotes here are bigger then Yeller - and she's 85 lbs. I've seen quite a few dead on the side of the 402 as well - and those were big beasts too.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This one was big!

Ed, I imagine they weren't too happy about having to do it either! My guess is that they just needed it off the interestate and they couldn't very well risk shooting at it in the middle of rush hour - too dangerous. So I guess they thought it was their only option - try to catch it and hope they got lucky or that it ran off in the process.

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
Surprised she got that close before the coyote took off. Good for the AC gal, she did her job. Got the darn thing to vacate.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts