Just Labradors banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's too many words spelled the same or that sound similar! lol

Jake has a spelling test today, and we've been going over his words all week. He's been having trouble with them, and this is what we went through last night.

"Jake, spell tell" "Tail" "No, Jakob. That's right but it's the spelling of a tail like Brees has. This tell is spelled like the one in this sentence 'I'm going to tell you a story'". "Tale" "*sigh* That's another way to spell tell, but umm...let's try this one. When Brandon hurts you, you tell on him". "Tail?" *Groan".

"Jakob, spell feelings" "Fillings" "No, that's the type of fillings that you would find in pies. Here's a sentence...Sad and happy are types of feelings". "Filings?"

Okay Jakob "Spell bare. Here's a sentence: Your feet are bare". "This one is easy - BEAR!" "Sorry Jakob...try it again. Another spelling of bear." "I'm tired of this". <thinking to myself...me too kiddo> :embarrass:

He has sentences that he has to write properly, the writing has to be neat, spaced evenly, capitalization in the proper places, and punctuation correct. One of his sentences was "My dog, Buddy, likes to cuddle and nap on my lap.". He spelled to...two, too, and finally to.

There were a few others that were difficult for him since other words are spelled the same. Probably around 8 out of the 20 words he had. He spelled them all correctly this morning and wrote his sentences well before school so I just hope he remembers during his test. The are words I take for granted, and I think he should just know... lol They must be difficult for a first grader to understand though. :D He has 4 other tests on top of that one today so poor kiddo...luckily the math, phonics, and English come very easy for him - just those pesky spelling words that can be spelled multiple ways.

·
Registered
26,306 Posts
I AGREE!!

This always make me scratch my head..

Did you read the paper?
I just read the paper.

He cried a tear.
I have a tear in my shirt.

GAH..... :ugly:

T

·
0 Posts
MidwestGirl said:
I AGREE!!

Did you read the paper?
I just read the paper.

He cried a tear.

:ugly: I know.

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
MidwestGirl said:
I AGREE!!

Did you read the paper?
I just read the paper.

He cried a tear.

Yeah, those make no sense either. At least they are spelled the same though! lol

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Yes - English is very hard. Many folks on this board demonstrate how hard it is every day. :laugh:

All of the there, their, they're errors on here make me twitch.

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
joflake said:
Thank God I'm done with school!
And my kids are done too, or is that to or two! Either way I'm done, they are done- and they can worry about the Grandkids when they have them :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

·
Registered
12,170 Posts
BigBrownDog said:
Yes - English is very hard. Many folks on this board demonstrate how hard it is every day. :laugh:

All of the there, their, they're errors on here make me twitch.
+1

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
Yep. English is an easy language to communicate with (speak poorly and be understood), but a difficult one to master.

One of my favourite (<--Canadian and British spelling) sentences that illustrates the silliness of English is:

We polish our Polish furniture.

I also like the words where we throw in non-existant letters.

Lieutenant. Canadian and British pronunciation is supposed to be "lef-ten-nant, though a lot of Canadians use the American pronunciation.
Colonel. Why do we pronounce it ker-nel?
khaki. My Mom and Grandma pronounce car-key.
Edinburg. Ed-in-bu-ra

And then the silent letters.

know My students always get that wrong the first time I dictate it. They usually write "no".
knee
dumb
Etobicoke. E-toe-buh-coe
Niagara. Nye-ag-ra.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts