Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok... Eric was nice enough to ask the vet to fax me the report... so here it is... I have no idea what some of this means like the abbreviations but I'm just going to put it all here anyways. Also the fax didn't make all the letters completely clear so there might be some errors... especially on the medical terms which I cannot begin to guess how they are actually spelled.

Clinical Information: canine Lab Retr 3y MC

Tissue Submitted: SQ masses, Lt thorax

Microscopic Discription: SQ masses, Lt thorax; Sections of three large masses are examined. All three masses are histologically similar and will be described together. The dermis and subcutis are expanded by discrete but unencapsulated, densely cellular, and centrally r ecrotic masses composed infiltrates of macrophages, plasma cells, neutrophils, lymphocytes, and fewer eosinophila and mast cells. Many of the largest macrophages have abundant trothy cytoplasm filled with discrete round racuoles/globules containing an eosinophilic round core (phagocytized cellular debris or possible organisms).

Diagonosis and Comments: SQ masses, Lt thorax; Marked multi-nodular granulomatous dermalopannlculltis.
No clear evidence of neoplasia, intralesional foreign materials (e.g. grass awns, etc.) or specific ecologic agents is seen among the routine H&E slides examined here. The cause of Ender's subcutaneous nodules is not clear, however, two principle differentials should be considered: migrating foreign bodies (especially if this dog is a hunting companion or otherwise has exposure to meadows & marshes) and a fungal or algal infection (e.g. histoplasmosis, others). Special stains for fungi and other microorganisms are available: please contact this laboratory should you wish to pursue additional work up of Ender's lesions.
Eric has asked they do the two additional tests (was only $70 so why not)

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Cool, I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
I have absolutely no idea what any of that means. The bottom line is, it's not at all life threatening, right? What does the SQ in SQ Mass stand for?

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
SQ probably stands for subcutaneous (beneath the skin). We use the term SubQ at the medical college.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Nancy and Pam, I am impressed! :)

Is California Lab Lover still here? PM it to her, Linds, she can probably help you out. Granted she's a feline vet, but still....

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well Eric basically told me that they still don't know what it is... the last couple of tests they talk about in the report are only $70 so he asked them to run it.

but yeah... obviously it's not terrible or life threatening.

Yay for insurance paying 80% of this $2K surgery.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Yay for insurance paying 80% of this $2K surgery.
NOICE!!! :) Can I ask how much he pays monthly/yearly for the insurance? Having 3 dogs now, I wonder if it would be worth it for me.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Good enough, thanks. I'll check out that link.

·
Registered
11,362 Posts
Well, despite the fact that it looks like they are not sure exactly what is causing the lumps it doesn't seem like a bad report. Yay Ender!

How is he doing by the way? Still in the sweater vest?

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
How is he doing by the way? Still in the sweater vest?
He's bounced back enough to start annoying Eric by making him get up early in the morning to let him out :p

Sweater Vest came off last sunday... I posted his surgery pics (kinda graphic so I won't repost here) on Monday.

So typical young lab... he's bouncing back fast.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Okay, I'm going to correct the typos in the report and then if you have additional questions you can wiki things :)

Microscopic Discription: SQ masses, Lt thorax; Sections of three large masses are examined. All three masses are histologically similar and will be described together. The dermis and subcutis are expanded by discrete but unencapsulated, densely cellular, and centrally necrotic masses composed infiltrates of macrophages, plasma cells, neutrophils, lymphocytes, and fewer eosinophila and mast cells. Many of the largest macrophages have abundant frothy cytoplasm filled with discrete round vacuoles/globules containing an eosinophilic round core (phagocytized cellular debris or possible organisms).

The reports from Antech/other companies always come back with a few and it's really annoying to try to google "trothy vacuoles" and get nothing ;)

Basically what this means is there are pockets of cells, that don't have a clear capsule around them, with dead tissue in the center and lots of all the body's inflammatory cells sent there. The macrophages were eating something (they're the cleaner-uppers of the body), but they're not sure what.

So they're thinking either something like a foxtail, thorn, piece of stick, etc. got lodged in his skin and there was an inflammatory reaction around it since it's a foreign body. Or there was a fungal infection locally with the same thing. Nothing sounds neoplastic since they didn't state that any of the cells looks morphologically abnormal or anything along those lines.

Now they want to use different stains to see if they can get any bugs. It's good that Eric is doing the extra tests. I hope that helps, I think you can breathe easy - this looks like GOOD news to me! :)

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
All I can say is they have a shitty transcriptionist.

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
LOL... thanks so much for the corrections... the fax was kinda fuzzy.

So... the thing that I question about the foreign bodies thing is... there were three lumps. It started with one... and then another developed... and then a 3rd... all over a 3 month period... and all on one side. Does this mean 1 foreign object? or 3? how likely is it that three show up on the same side in the same area?

And what's the deal with "fingerlike tendrils into the muscle" (the reason they gave for why the surgery went longer than expected and Ender had to stay overnight cause they had to go in so deep)

But yeah... I'm not worried... I'm glad they took a closer look.

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
All I can say is they have a shitty transcriptionist.
No no... that's me. The fax was a little blurred and there were vertical "lines" of fuzziness that I just had to guess the letters... I was trying to type it out fast.

So yeah... I wouldn't blame their transcriptionist... I happily take responsibility in fracking up the letters.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts