Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the apartment manage has 2 elderly chihuahuas... one is a female he pretty much always carries around in the crook of his arm, and the other is named Paco and is always on a retractable leash. These two BARK INCESSANTLY... upon seeing Ender or hearing Ender in the hall... or hearing anything... they BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK.

Ender acts like these two don't even exist. He looks everywhere but where they are... sniffing the air... enjoying the scenery... or whatever. Meanwhile Paco tries his best to bark his fool head off... I suppose he's telling Ender (whose head is bigger than him) that he's the big dog and Ender better not even think about doing anything to him.

Bob, "paaaaaccoooo... that dog could eat you in one bite!!"

So last night, Paco got up the courage and while we were outside he came all the way up to Ender... within inches of him.

Ender swung his head around... gave Paco a sniff... and then proceeded to ignore him.

I find this hilarious cause Ender is always going up to people and other dogs to at least sniff and check them out. He seems to be saying to me...

"mom... I dunno what that thing is that is making all that noise but it's not a dog"

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
So the apartment manage has 2 elderly "mom... I dunno what that thing is that is making all that noise but it's not a dog"
Lol - We have a woman who trains w/us who breeds/shows Frenchies (she was at Westminster and rec'd an Award of Merit), and she brings them around a lot to socialize them.

Wes is used to them now, but when he first got introduced, he'd shoot me a look like "What the hell kinda squeeky toy is that???"

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just think it's hilarious that Bob won't let me have a big dog... yet at the same time he says "I don't think I've ever heard him bark... does he even bark?"

And I say... "you haven't seen him when he sees a squirrel or when his driver from doggy day care arrives"

He's like ... "well he is one well behaved dog"

DUH!!!!!! It's the owner not the dog moron!

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How comes he let you look after Ender for a long time, but won't let you have your own dog?
Cause it was temporary... and it's not his rule... it's the person who owns the building and I think he was letting me "dog sit" kinda cloak and dagger. As in... if the owner found out... I'd be in trouble and so would Bob... though the owner really only comes over during the day during the work week... so liklihood of them finding out would be slim.

They do allow small dogs... as in... under 30 lbs. OH the choices!... NOT!

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
i have two weiner dogs next door who do the same thing.. barkbarkbark.. and their owner one day lets the pup come into my yard "to see what will happen". Which to me, seems a bit risky given the size difference.

barkbarkbark

tuck sniffed a bit.. and then completely ignored him.

hee

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
Emily has the never-ceasing desire to pwn dogs larger than she is...so far she's been lucky given that she's only 16 lbs. She reduced my Aunt's large, friendly redbone mix to a whining mess with his tail between his legs...lol. Ivy is much friendlier to large dogs like she doesn't really notice the difference. Teddy is interested in dogs of all sizes.

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh, I dunno...

I'd rather have a dog that was under 30lbs than no dog at all. ;)
The only thing is... me living in this apartment is not a permanent thing (at least I hope not) and in a few years or less, I will live somewhere else. Getting a dog is such a long term commitment... I'd rather wait til I can get a dog that is true to the type of life I want to lead. (swimming, retrieving, cuddling on the bed, temperament etc.)

·
Registered
21,293 Posts
The only thing is... me living in this apartment is not a permanent thing (at least I hope not) and in a few years or less, I will live somewhere else. Getting a dog is such a long term commitment... I'd rather wait til I can get a dog that is true to the type of life I want to lead. (swimming, retrieving, cuddling on the bed, temperament etc.)

I hear your pain Lindsay but you are right to wait !

Keep coming to JL for your fix !

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
Sammi's best friend Joe the "chaweenie" they have a great time together twice a week at the dog park- pretty funny to watch them play, but Joe holds his own:)

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
There are lots of small dogs that love to swim, retrieve, and lead active lives. My BT Ivy loves to do all of those things and she has a great temperament. Plus she can sit in my lap and she cuddles against me like a teddy bear at night. I love small dogs, especially Bostons. I love Teddy too but he is probably going to be our last big dog/lab. *Gasp* I know, blasphemy on a lab board.

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
On my street, "Labrador Lane," we have

On my street, "Labrador Lane," we have homes with 5 homes in a row with Labs but, past our house to the end of the block, there are a number of smaller houses with very small, VERY yappy dogs.

Puff and I often walk past them for her 2 PM potty break and, whenever they're outside and see her, they make a tremendous racket.

Puff acts like she never hears them.

If she were a Doberman or other guard dog breed, I wonder what she'd do?

But I think the non-reaction may come from Lab's social and gentle nature, doesn't it?

·
Registered
11,362 Posts
Brooklyn LOVES little dogs. She babies them if they are nice. Remy doesn't really notice them.

I have to admit...I have a secret yen for a Westie. Or a corgi.

But I think hubby wants a Newfie or a Bernese Mountain dog next.:eek:

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
All three of mine are fascinated by little dogs. We've got two yorkies on our street that scare the hell out of them. One of them is really aggressive and mine will stand there and look at it, and then look at me, and back and forth like they think I'm supposed to do something about it.

If I had a 30 lb. weight limit, I'd be all over the Cardigan Welsh Corgi. It might sneak in as my next dog anyway.

I've always wanted a Bernese Mountain Dog but they've got a tremendous number of health problems. The ones that don't die of cancer seem to be the exception rather than the rule.

·
Registered
11,362 Posts
If I had a 30 lb. weight limit, I'd be all over the Cardigan Welsh Corgi. It might sneak in as my next dog anyway.

I've always wanted a Bernese Mountain Dog but they've got a tremendous number of health problems. The ones that don't die of cancer seem to be the exception rather than the rule.
We have friends who have a corgi (the one with the tail? I can never remember which one is which) who retrieves better than my golden and is a perfect companion for Remy

The cancer issue is the exact reason why we haven't got a Bernese now...their average lifespan is about 8 years. But if we could find a reputable breeder who has healthy dogs...then maybe.

I also love the Clumber spaniel. There is actually a breeder here in town that is the local AKC club president. I may have to go check them out! :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts