Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay.... so not sure if you remember Eric posting late last year about a lump Ender had on his side and the trip to the vet. At the time they took a sample with a needle and determined that there weren't any "unusual" cells. So decided to watch it.

When Ender came to me, I could kinda see the lump there... but as time went by I noticed it more and more... and then a few weeks ago I realized that there was a second lump higher up on the same side. With Eric and I coordinating... I took him to his puppy vet last week Tuesday (10 days ago). The Vet did another needle biopsy (took 3-4 samples) and came back with no unusual cells and said that they found a very high content of white blood cells.

So she prescribed an Anti-inflamatory (twice per day for 10 days) and Antibiotics (twice per day, for 2 weeks) and suggested I use a warm compress on him a couple of times a day (to open up the blood vessels to get the medication to the lump) She said these could be like a small gland erupting (or some infected abscess) and then getting infected and the body overreacting and fighting the infection or foreign object or whatever.

It's day 10, I honestly don't see any difference in the size of the lumps... they might be SLIGHTLY smaller (or maybe that is just wishful thinking)... I thought I might have felt a small third one, but I'm not sure.

These are all on his left side (my right). The first one (the one that Eric noticed) is smaller and seems more round.... like a squishy marble. This one is very low almost at the bottom of his side. The second one is higher up (at the widest part of his back), about 4 inches or so above the first one... and it feels denser and not as "round" and maybe a bit bigger. They don't seem to be getting larger atm... but it's so hard to tell when there are ribs in between and who knows what is going on underneath.

The possible third one is next to the first one.. like a few inches over. I can't tell if it's really a lump or not... it doesn't protrude the skin enough to see a change in the fur height (like the other two).

I don't know what to think. I mean... they haven't yet found any abnormal cells. But they can't really give me a good explanation for why these are cropping up. He's 3 years old. The "erupting gland" thing seems weird as the medications don't seem to be doing anything and there is two now possibly three.

Apollo (my mom's 7 yr old lab from the same parents) has a lot of bumps, the few that my parents have checked out have been "fatty masses" or whatever... so they have stopped checking.

Is Ender too young for the fatty mass stuff? Would those be filled with white blood cells anyways? I am so confused. I told Eric I wanted to complete the vet's regimen but unless something happens in the next 4 days, I'm thinking he needs to go back to the vet.

Both Eric and I want to know for sure what the hell is going on. He is our baby.

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
I hope you figure out what's going on. Has he had his shots recently by any chance? Mocha had a reaction to one when she was a puppy that caused a pretty nasty lump. I hope it's nothing major.

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
:( That must kind of freak you out..! That would scare me. Perhaps you can have another vet look at it..? I would get a second opinion, just to be safe.

My parents' dog, Sasha, had a weird mass on the back of her elbow where there is a bit of extra skin. The vet tested it and it wasn't anything serious so she tried to get all of the liquid out of it. It went away on it's own. :happy:

But these sound different. I know you said the one is squishy, but are the others the same as well? I'm not sure if the stuff inside them is liquid but maybe the vet can extract the liquid??

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
Rider has three or 4 fatty lipomas on his sides. They are nothing to worry about. I hope that this is true for Ender as well.

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dani.... I think Rider is older than Ender though. That kinda concerns me that if it's that... isn't Ender a little young for those?

Also... does high white cell count mean anything? Is that typical with the fatty limpomas?

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
Ender's Mom said:
Also... does high white cell count mean anything? Is that typical with the fatty limpomas?
White blood cells are the ones that try to defend the body against infections, disease and foreign materials. Often a sign of infection or disease.. I have no experience with lipomas, so I'm not sure if that's typical, but I would guess so, since it's kind of a foreign mass.

Certain breeds, including Labs, are at higher risk for getting them... although I'm not sure why.

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
If it were me, I'd have them removed and sent in for a histo. The vet thought for sure after a needle biopsy that one of the dog's lump was just a fatty tumor. Something told me to have it removed. It ended up being a grade 2 MCT.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Fender had something very similar not long ago (he only had one lump though, and it was high up on the left side of his back). I freaked because he's only 3, too. Fender's was just under the skin and you could move it around (not attached to anything but skin). My vet took an aspiration and was unable to tell me what it was, just that it wasn't a fatty lump. So, I had it removed. It was biopsied and came back as some kind of benign cyst. It was worth the money to me for the peace of mind. Here's hoping Fender and Ender are benign lump twins!

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
No advice except that I'd probably also have them taken out for more analysis to be sure. Hope verything turns out to be OK and all the worry and stress of the moment is for nothing. Good thoughts for you, Ender, and Eric.

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the advice guys... I'm gonna call the vet on Tuesday (after his 2 week course of medications is up and I can say "I did what you said... and no change")

I'll push for having them removed to find out for sure what they are.

What all is involved in having them removed?

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
I know that labs are prone to benign "lumps" - Skippy has had one for a couple of years. But I would personally be more concerned about several that cropped up in a short time on a younger dog - I would have them biopsied also, just so you know worry yourself to death if nothing else. We'll keep fingers and paws crossed that everything is OK.

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts