Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
14,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
She just disappeared behind my back tonight. After a very sniffy walk of walk-stop-sniff-walk-stop-sniff- over to the other side-stop- sniff.... I was happy to get her off leash when we got away from the roads. Still much sniffing and I waited for her to come and turned around and told her "Now we're going straight forward instead of turning left (as we sometimes do), longer walk-more sniffing for you". I walk at the same time as I turn around and she is G O N E! 5 seconds and she is completely gone. No sign.

Well this has happened before and I try to not look silly when I walk around with my empty leash and call her quietly. She usually is in the bushes and eat cat poop, bread or something nasty. Usually I found her, or she comes out happy, licking her chops.

But this time is different. It's dark, but it's snow.... A yellow lab, not exactly a black Chihuahua, and she has her flashing light collar on. You should see her, right?? Oh no it's quiet... really quiet as I turn around over and over again and no sign...not a peep from her while my calls getting louder and louder. I walk back and forth.... Not a sign. The time seems soooooo long. When she looses me, and not see where I'm going, she usually circles the area, always comes back to the spot she saw me last time. I know it and don't get home tonight.

A lady with a little Schnauzer helps we as well as a jogger. After looking again I start to panic really bad. The dog is completely gone and I can't do nothing to find her. I also have had a nightmare a year or so ago, about Emma disappearing almost the exact place as she got lost and I waking up just when I hear and see the bus put the brakes on.. So when I see the bus I feel so sick! While the jogger take a run looking for her and I and the Schnauzer lady stands looking for her. And she says "look!"

Way down the path a really familiar figure with red lights flashing and a wagging tail (yes the invisible lab was now visible again...) comes trotting fast, proud, but a bit insecure about who the screaming, hysterically crying, who's now laying down on her knees, calling her name is :rolleyes:.... "EMMA; EMMA COME!!!!" She is now close enough to meet my eyes in the dark: "MOM???!!! Is THAT really you??! Why are you still here??? YOU said straight forward right?? I just did what you told me.." I hugged and kissed my girl so tight, put the leash on. And the sniffing walk continued, but now the fastest way home. Me, still a bit shaky... and Emma, who couldn't be less affected about the trauma.

She must had been on the other side on the bushes/trees while I turned around... But I went there looking and the lady who came from that direction didn't see her... So she must have hidden pretty good! And ignored my calling. Can't believe she didn't react on that :eek:. That was loud!... I think I will stay away from that block for a while now... I bet she found something very, very interesting to smell... or eat. Better hope she doesn't get sick of it. From now on no more evening off leash walks and hide-and-seek games for miss Emma ;). I will watch that precious old lady like a hawk.

Just so happy she was fine. I got a few new gray hairs and wrinkles, but who cares, as long as my baby is fine :D.

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
awww Emma! How could you go off like that and scare your mom :p

Glad everything turned out ok! I would have totally panicked in that situation! :eek:

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
Oh man Veronica! I don't blame you for being scared, not finding our precious Emma! That must have been very frightening.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Oh, Emma, yes, please don't scare your mom and then the JL board! Glad you both are safe.

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
Had to read through the whole thing. I believe I knew it was a happy ending the way you were telling the story. I was with you the whole way.

This is one reason that Hershey Kisses wears an ecollar when we go out, day or night. She is seldom out of sight, save when she decides to run around the house at full speed a couple times. But if she has the collar on, and I call her, she comes straight to me at something between a trot and a full run. 99% of the time. That 1%, is when I hit the tone button. I think it remonds her that she is wearing it and I get the standard return. Without the collar, she is pretty good, but more like 80%. Most of that is because she is investigating something and needs to finish the investigation. It is more ignoring me, than running from me. The other 1%, well that is why she wears the collar.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Eeeek! I would have been freaked. I'm glad Emma is safe and sound.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
OMG EMMA!!!! Don't do that to your Mama. Veronica, I would have been a basket case. Especially because it was dark. Thank goodness you have a collar with lights on Emma. I had a sick feeling reading the story and was so glad it had a positive and happy ending. No more off leash walks at night without an e-collar.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts