Just Labradors banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am happy to be able to tell you that (knock on wood), Emilu's dog reactivity has really been reduced. I really noticed it with the new class of roudy dogs that come in after us - lots of barkers and lungers. She really barely reacts to them - looks up normally at them, but doesn't get all freaked out. She is even getting out the door to go home much better - I don't have to take her by the collar and stuff a treat under her nose anymore! BUT........ even though she is "ignoring' the little dogs at this time, now she feels she must run up and great every bigger dog with a kiss - whether she knows them or not! I hate to correct her (she's so dang sensitive), but it's not appropriate to do that either (and could be dangeous) Oh Emilu! What am I going to do with you?

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
Emilu! My or my! Don't you know that talking to strangers is dangerous?!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Have you tried cheese wiz? as you are exiting spray a little cheese wiz on the roof of her mouth she will be so interested in licking it that she won't even want to lick the big dogs. That trick was recommended to me in a Controlled Unleashed seminar.

Great that she has gotten so much better with the dog reactivity. It definately shows how much hard work you have both have done.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Pat, I think it's wonderful. How old is she now?

Magnum had her reactive moments when she was younger, but as she has aged, she has really mellowed out and is so much more aloof with dogs that get in her face. Won't say she won't defend herself if need be, but when she does it's not nearly with the same intensity as when she was younger. She's 8 now.

·
Registered
742 Posts
that's great news!

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Emilu will be 6 in June. It will be interesting to see how she is at our first show for the year later this month. That will be the real test.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts