Just Labradors banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What a frieken night. I get home from work at 10:30 tonight to find my dog covered in pink streaks. What the hell could have caused this, I thought. I walk into my computer room and see a pile of vomit on the floor. I clean up the vomit, and then try and figure out what this pink mess all over Odie's is. Then my roommate comes upstairs and shows me the pink highlighter pen he chewed up and destroyed. That explains the pink mess. While I was wiping him down with a wash cloth I realize that he's holding his left eye shut.

I opened his eye manually and saw that it was fire truck red. I thought maybe he had got some highlighter ink in there, so I tried to flush it out with a little water. No improvement. So off to the emergency vet I went. It's the only vet open 24 hours around here.

They weighed him, took his temperature, and put dye in his eye to check for scratches. Sure enough he had two large scratches which were easily visible with the green dye. So they give me a tube of ointment and an e-collar. Then they give me a bill for $200.

I had this same exact procedure done by my own vet in early 2008 when he had irritated eyes. They only charged me $80 including the medication.

I knew I had to take him in as soon as possible. I don't want my dog to go blind because I procrastinated or couldn't afford it, which I can't. But whatever. I'm relieved that the situation is being resolved, but I'm pissed about the money. I couldn't pay for it, so I had to charge it. I've been really trying hard to pay down my credit cards, but it seems like every time you take a step forward, you end up taking two steps back. ****

Oh, and he probably scratched his eye on the chewed up plastic highlighter pen.

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
Glad all is going to be fine! So good your pup has you as an owner, not ever one would do what they need to do!! :happy:

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
Good for you and good for your boy. Hopefully he never goes after those things again, and you and others in the house learn how everything has to be out of Lab Reach!!!!!!

The e-vets here are expensive also. Basically, if you are going to walk in the front door, it will cost you $300 to get out. That assumes that the dog never actually sees a vet. I don't know how busy they are on average, nor how many vets, v-techs, and others are there during the evenings. But I am thankful they are there. I can't say I love paying them so much, but I am glad that they are there to pay when needed.

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
usually when you go to an after hours vet (or any vet after hours) there is a $100 surcharge, at least that has been my experience. That is on top of the actual consult cost and any other stuff they do. Hey your night was cheaper than mine at $700!

glad to hear your boy will be alright, must have been scary to see though!

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
glad you took him and glad he'll be ok

er usually pays top dollar to try to retain staff - working nights isn't a lot of fun
they also need access to a lot more very expensive equipment than a regular vet does (as they can't refer to the vet down the raod who has the piece they need)

they are expensive and I hate paying the bills but I am grateful to have the clinics around...
calling on call vets and hoping they can help and aren't on another call is no fun either

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just wanted to give everybody an update. I haven't been able to log onto the site since thrusday. There was either something wrong with the site, or something wrong with my computer.

Odie has had ointment put in his left eye three times a day since thrusday night. He's already looking much better. His eye still looks a little red, but he walks around with both eyes open now, and it appears that it isn't bothering him as much.

Occasionally he will try to rub at it. Usually right after the ointment is applied. I've had to put the e-collar on him a few times to keep him from picking at it. But he's doin really good.

·
Registered
22,832 Posts
I am glad to hear Odie's eye is improving. The e-vets here are more expensive than our regular vet but they are available 24/7 so like you, I gladly pay the price. :happy:

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
I'm glad he is going to be ok. I understand how frustrating it can be to try and pay down the credit cards, but this was necessary for Odie's well being, and not something that was unnecessary. Hang in there and you definitely did the right thing.

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
Glad Odie is recovering ok... sorry the same probably isn't happening to your credit card! thank you for looking after Odie so well.

·
Registered
12,420 Posts
They are every bit as bad as kids! Glad he's going to be fine and hopefully he will have learned his lesson about messing with markers. (but probably not, he's a lab after all :laugh:)

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Only a lab will cover himself in Pink Stripes for you.
HAPPY VALENTINES DAY!!!

Kelly and Amber

2,990 Posts
Touch wood, but my VISA card and I have not had the e-vet experience yet. Hope we never do. It pisses me off to hear reports on here of how much they charge - to me, that's just taking advantage of you when you are at your weakest. You're going to do anything for your dog and they know that. Not right. :no: :no:

Bev.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts