Just Labradors banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's Kennel cough. He was given tetracycline and temeril and the vet said he'd be so much better in 48 hours.
When I got home from work to take him to the vet he was actually coughing, not the choking he was doing before. He didn't couch at all the whole ride to the vet. He only coughed at the vet after he was put down on the floor from the exam table. We are home and he hasn't couched since.
I was so excited to weigh him as it's been quite a while. He has weighed 66 lbs since he was 9 months old and my husband and I thought for sure that he had put on a few pounds, well he now weighs 67 pounds so I am happy about that.
The vet said he's seen a lot of dogs get kennel cough even though they have been vaccinnated. THe only reason I did it because it's required at the doggie day care.
Thanks for everyone's heads up on this!

In the middle of the night Elias woke us up, it sounded like he was about to throw up. We got up and put the light on and all he was doing was coughing but nothing was coming out, it was clear he had something in there he was trying to get out. He calmed down and went back to bed. He did it again a few hours later, it was still dark so I couldn't see but I thought for sure he was throwing up, but nothing was coming out. Again he calmed down quickly.
He did it again at about 7:30 am, same thing, coughing, gagging, but nothing came out.
He then ate, drank, peed and pooped. I left the house at 8am for work. I'll be going home at lunch time to check on him and hubby said he'd stop in during the day too.
Anything I should do? How alarmed do you think I should be?

·
Registered
5,788 Posts
Re: Elias has something stuck in his throat

"unproductive retching" can be a sign of kennel cough. Not the end of the world, but can lead to secondary infections. Your vet may want to put him on antibiotics as a precaution.

Keep him out of dogparks and obedience classes till the cough is done

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Hmmmm, because he goes to doggie daycare he's been vaccinated against kennel cough.

·
Registered
5,788 Posts

the KC vaccine is like the flu shot.. it doesnt cover all possible variants of the virus.

·
Registered
4,364 Posts

sounds kennel coughish.

Buck was/is vaccinated for it. Last year though after I boarded him and brought him home he definitely had some weird cough sneezey thing going. The vaccination doesn't protect from all strains.

Perhaps Elias has doggie cold.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts

Good thoughts for Elias! Tuck got one of the strains last year although he had been vaccinated too. It sucked. :-\

·
Registered
29,548 Posts

Kennel cough. Now you know why I think the kennel cough vaccine is worthless. :)

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Thanks for your input, I feel more at ease. Hopefully it's just kennel cough and not something stuck in his throat like I thought.
Thanksfully I can get him to the vet soon!

·
Registered
16,679 Posts

*whispers* this is a hijack...

Laura, do your dogs get the KC vaccine? Our vet always says that it's not needed unless we feel the need or if we're going to board them or do doggy daycare (neither of which we do). We got Molly's as part of her puppy shots and we got Abby hers last time, but why pay for something worthless.

·
Registered
29,548 Posts

No my dogs do not get the vaccine. The last time someone did, I think it was Libby for puppy class, she ended up with kennel cough twice that year. Nobody else developed it. That's when I decided that my dogs would not get this worthless vaccine.

·
Registered
10,230 Posts

Sounds like KC to me too that's what Mocha's sounded like when she had it. I think because of the vaccine though her's didn't get too bad and it didn't last long. She mainly did it right away in the morning or after getting up from a nap.

·
Registered
9,226 Posts

yep, kennel cough. Lucy used to get the vaccine and she still got a terrible bout of KC 2 years ago, she picked up at daycare.

Hope Elias gets better quickly.

·
Registered
16,472 Posts

Good thoughts for Elias. Let us know, okay?

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
That is what they figure Lily had. She had started with a cough after the vomiting. So she is on antibiotics. She would only cough when she had her leash on or when she got excited or tried to bark. I only heard her cough one time today. She is doing so much better.
Sure hope Elias gets better quickly too.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts