Just Labradors banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our Jake is 11yrs old. His lab work shows an elevated ALT and low blood sugar. He is going to have some more tests this week. He had been on a very low dose of Rimadyl and the vet took him off for a month. The results came back the same. Some of the worst diagnoses could be liver problems, Addison’s, and also an insulinoma of the pancreas. I am at a loss. Has anyone else had these problems with their dogs???

·
Registered
2 Posts
Our Jake is 11yrs old. His lab work shows an elevated ALT and low blood sugar. He is going to have some more tests this week. He had been on a very low dose of Rimadyl and the vet took him off for a month. The results came back the same. Some of the worst diagnoses could be liver problems, Addison’s, and also an insulinoma of the pancreas. I am at a loss. Has anyone else had these problems with their dogs???
I hope Jake is doing well and that you’ve gotten more info on his condition. My Holly is 15 this year and has been on Rimadyl for 1 year now. It has done wonders for her mobility, however her latest bloodwork showed elevated ALT level. I think the vet is assuming it’s caused by the Rimadyl and hasn’t mentioned any further testing. I’m struggling with whether or not to stop the med to see if her level comes down, and risk having her suffer discomfort or continue it and risk further liver damage.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Jake was taken off Rimadyl for 30 days but his ALT stayed at 204...so that wasn’t the cause. She said to keep giving him the Tramadol, which is a pain killer only and try that. He went back to hobbling around again. One morning he was very tentative walking around so we took him to the emergency vet clinic since our vet wouldn’t be in until later. He was walking better at the vet. I explained the situation and showed her Jake’s test results. She suggested Galliprant...it is an NSAID but it works differently than Rimadyl with not being as hard on the liver and kidneys. She said that at 11 1/2 years to think about his quality of life. She said she sees dogs with elevated liver enzymes in the 2&3000 range. We can adjust the Galliprant if need be. Jake is no longer hobbling and he is able to go for his walks and no longer seems uncomfortable. We still give him the tramadol which also can be adjusted. He hasn’t had anymore blood tests yet. He did have a liver function test with the 204 ALT reading but she said his liver is functioning well. It could just be from age. So for now we are continuing with the Galliprant and tramadol. Galliprant is a newer drug that came out a few years ago. Hopefully he can remain on it. I would rather that he enjoys his golden years rather than be in pain with arthritis at this point. I’m keeping my fingers crossed. We had a Lab years ago who was on Derramx and back then they did follow up with blood work. Also, there is a MED called Dennamarin (not sure of spelling) that is given to dogs with elevated liver enzymes which helps the liver get back to normal. Just something else to ask your vet. Good luck. There is so much out there nowadays.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Jake was taken off Rimadyl for 30 days but his ALT stayed at 204...so that wasn’t the cause. She said to keep giving him the Tramadol, which is a pain killer only and try that. He went back to hobbling around again. One morning he was very tentative walking around so we took him to the emergency vet clinic since our vet wouldn’t be in until later. He was walking better at the vet. I explained the situation and showed her Jake’s test results. She suggested Galliprant...it is an NSAID but it works differently than Rimadyl with not being as hard on the liver and kidneys. She said that at 11 1/2 years to think about his quality of life. She said she sees dogs with elevated liver enzymes in the 2&3000 range. We can adjust the Galliprant if need be. Jake is no longer hobbling and he is able to go for his walks and no longer seems uncomfortable. We still give him the tramadol which also can be adjusted. He hasn’t had anymore blood tests yet. He did have a liver function test with the 204 ALT reading but she said his liver is functioning well. It could just be from age. So for now we are continuing with the Galliprant and tramadol. Galliprant is a newer drug that came out a few years ago. Hopefully he can remain on it. I would rather that he enjoys his golden years rather than be in pain with arthritis at this point. I’m keeping my fingers crossed. We had a Lab years ago who was on Derramx and back then they did follow up with blood work. Also, there is a MED called Dennamarin (not sure of spelling) that is given to dogs with elevated liver enzymes which helps the liver get back to normal. Just something else to ask your vet. Good luck. There is so much out there nowadays.
Thanks for the info on the other meds. I’ll check those out. Holly’s ALT is at 125. I wasn’t sure at what level it becomes a major concern. From what you’ve said, it seems like that’s not terribly excessive. Quality of life definitely has to be a factor in these decisions. She is also on Gabapentin, for pain. That wasn’t cutting it alone though, that’s why we started her on Rimadyl. I’ve got a call in to my vet to discuss options. Best regards to Jake :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts