Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there some unwritten code that if you buy an electric lawn mower, your man card gets revoked? We have a riding mower but lent it semi-permanently to Denny's grandmother, so we need a new mower. Our house is on a .25 acre lot, so there is not much to mow (considering our house, with garage and driveway, is probably 3000 square feet). We have at least 1 electrical outlet on each side of the house. I think an electric mower would be perfect. Denny is not sold on the idea at all--he thinks it's nuts.

Anyone have/had one? Thoughts? I like that it is "green", too--plus no gasoline to buy or maintenance. I'm trying to convince him that we could at least try a corded one for this year, and if it is unbearable, get a gas mower.

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
My parents had one a long time ago and it seemed to work just fine - until my mom one day mowed the lawn after downing a couple of screwdrivers and cut the cord. That was pretty exciting!

Anyway - yes - it worked and is a good idea for a smaller lot. Plus it is quieter.

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
They are pretty popular in my city. I think because everyone lives on a postage stamp.

THey also make them with rechargeable batteries. So maybe Denny would be ok with one like that.

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
I'm still trying to get my head around GRAMMA on a riding mower!!!!

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
Surely he isn't wanting a riding mower for that little spot of grass???? Denny NOOOOOO!!!!!!

Even this middle aged lady uses a push mower!! ;)

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
I'm still trying to get my head around GRAMMA on a riding mower!!!!
My mother loved her riding lawn mower and used it until she was too weak from chemotherapy to stay on it, when she was 77. We got her a cassette player with earphones and she'd ride and listen to music. Mom mowed several acres every week!

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Constantly moving/mowing the cord sounds like a massive PITA. I've never really understood electric weed-eaters, mowers, trimmers, [anything that cuts, as in cuts right through a cord]. I'd go with one with a rechargeable battery.

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
His grandmother is an amazing lady. She has 2+ acres and has used a push mower until we finally let her borrow our riding mower (she is 76).

I like the "real" push mowers but we have a lot of rogue grass in addition to the sod. I've read that those don't work so well on weeds.

Problem with the rechargeable ones are that they are a bit more expensive. If this venture fails I would like to have spent $200 or less rather than $400 on a battery operated one.

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
I used an electric mower many (almost 20) years ago when we were renting a house (it was provided by the landlord). It was a PITA dealing with the cord. Otherwise it worked OK. I would consider a rechargeable one depending on how good they are now.

(I use a rechargeable line trimmer, that I'm happy with, but a regular gas mower.)

·
Registered
12,170 Posts
I would actually revoke a person's man card for using a rider mower on .25 acres. Do what kelli posted. A reel mower cuts better and is good exercise.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
I have used gas mowers, riding lawn mowers, finishing mowers, reel mowers, bush hogs behind tractors and electric mowers - for the use you describe I'd go with electric

that's what we use at our city house - and it's easy .. took me a little while to adjust to planning for the cord but I'm not that swift - if I can manage it anyone can ;)

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
We had a cordless one and it was a piece of crap never worked right and manufacture insisted it was fine, it would not hold a charge long enough to even mow my small lawn. So we bought a corded one which is much cheaper and it works great it is on its third year and we mow year round in Phoenix.

Our front lawn is all desert landscaped with rocks and cactus. My backyard has a pool and a huge tree that I could never gett grass to grow under it so I put pea gravel under it and Cinnamon thinks it is a doggie run and uses it for a pooping grounds. The grass section of my yard is probably 60 feet x 45 feet so that gives you an idea. It takes us about 20 minutes to mow it with the electric mower. We use to have a gas mower but that was a pain and you always wondered if it would start with the electric you plug it in and squeeze the handle.

·
Registered
13,130 Posts
The cord would be a PITA. A neighbor of ours had one and we laughed about it all the time. We have relatively small lots also. We are on a 1/4 acre.

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
My grandparents had one for a while and it was a PITA. I hated the cord. I'd rather have a plain old push mower. The new ones are not that heavy.

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I wouldn't mind cutting the grass if it was with an electric mower!

Anyone use a reel mower over anything but sod? I'm not sure it will be able to tackle weeds, which we already have a lot of.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
We have (had? I haven't seen it lately. :confused:) and old, rusty reel mower. Worked better than anything we've ever had on grass, weeds, you name it! :)

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
We've had one for over 10 years and before that it was my mom's. She bought it for $20 at a garage sale. I love it because it is easy to start and it is lightweight. Our lawn area is small so the the cord isn't much of an issue. My husband uses it and no one has asked him to turn in his man card.;)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts