Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is an electric fence something one would use to keep a dog from maybe digging under a fence to escape?

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
I would go with no. If Mambo is digging under the fence to get out, I would spend the weekend and lay down chicken wire all around the perimeter to stop him from doing this. We had to do that with a husky we had, it took him a couple of additional days of attempts, but he soon figured out it wasn't working.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
no.
never.
they're just horrible.
we used them around our farm in a couple of pastures and they cause more trouble than they're worth.
you can't control who or what else will come into contact with them.

===========

I do want to share a funny story about the time my older brother wondered what would happen if he peed on it . . . . .
(34 years later we still laugh about it)

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A friend just told me about chicken wire as well. Do I put it under the fence and under the ground? Couldnt he just dig under the chicken wire?

Someone also suggested large rocks. But I am thinking that will need to be alot of rocks. I am looking into all options here.

Does the electric fence shock them if they try to escape? Would it also shock the squirels? Sorry I could look this all up. But I was just curios about it.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Mambo said:
Does the electric fence shock them if they try to escape? Would it also shock the squirels? Sorry I could look this all up. But I was just curios about it.
It will shock everything that touches it.
They are usually set to send an impulse every so many seconds (ours was set at every 8 seconds), so whatever is touching it at that time will get a shock. Ours were set to such a degree that the pigs would feel it, and it was enough to make a person never want to touch it again. Yuk.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wouldnt want to do anything that could hurt him or anyone else. I would feel really bad. He snuck out and was gone about an hour the other day. I freaked out and he hasnt been in the yard since.

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
Does your fence go all the way to the ground? Basically you want to affix the wire to the bottom of the fence, and dig it underground about 3 inches, and ideally, about a foot out. I can't describe what I'm talking about dang it. I'll see if I can google some pics for ya!

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Mambo said:
I wouldnt want to do anything that could hurt him or anyone else. I would feel really bad. He snuck out and was gone about an hour the other day. I freaked out and he hasnt been in the yard since.
I think your best bet is to just be vigiliant about making sure your gates are closed and secure. And if digging is an issue, something as simple as laying 2X4's down flat across the bottom of your fence at ground level might work. I have a friend who put these all the way around his yard, secured between each fence post, and it ended his problem. Plus, it looks good, too.

And it would probably be cheaper than the electric fence.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
TangerineFizz said:
Does your fence go all the way to the ground? Basically you want to affix the wire to the bottom of the fence, and dig it underground about 3 inches, and ideally, about a foot out. I can't describe what I'm talking about dang it. I'll see if I can google some pics for ya!
Only at some places it reaches the ground. We had homedepot put it in and they wanted it to be even. The ground wasnt. So some palces its a bit higher. Maybe 6 inches or so. He dug another 12 inches to squeeze through there.

Doesnt help that there is a new dog next door tied out side thats in heat. Not sure if Mambo cares if she is in heat But he wants to play with her.

My yard isnt that big. So hopefully chicken wire may help. I will need to look into that asap.

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
Oooh, I bet the female next door has something to do with it, especially if he's never done it before. I can't find any images, but I think you get what I mean. You just make the chicken wire like an "L" - affixing the top portion of the wire to the fence, and burying the longer part of the "L" under ground, so when he digs, he hits wire.

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
TangerineFizz said:
Oooh, I bet the female next door has something to do with it, especially if he's never done it before. I can't find any images, but I think you get what I mean. You just make the chicken wire like an "L" - affixing the top portion of the wire to the fence, and burying the longer part of the "L" under ground, so when he digs, he hits wire.
I did the chicken wire on two sides of my fence yard where I thought the dogs would escape from. A big plus was that skunks couldn't enter either.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think I will need to do it all the way around. Its like he seen the light outside the fence and is now determined to break out.

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
Mambo said:
Great. Thanks. Now I need to figure out where to get chicken wire.
I would try the local feed store ( do you have one nearby where farmers go for food for their livestock?) Or I might think a garden center might have some too.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
TangerineFizz said:
Mambo said:
Great. Thanks. Now I need to figure out where to get chicken wire.
I would try the local feed store ( do you have one nearby where farmers go for food for their livestock?) Or I might think a garden center might have some too.
I am sure we do. even though we dont have livestock really in St pete. I am sure there is a place. Also thinking homedepot or lowes

·
Registered
12,928 Posts
My first lab was a chicken wire expert. That dang dog amazes me at what he could dig out from. I now think back and think of all those weekends I spent laying the wire, nailing, rocks....HA...he was sunning in the yard; thinking, fool, just wait until Monday! And he was right! LOL

My next door neighbor has 2 beagles that were constantly getting out. He laid those heavy blocks (sort of like concrete blocks but more decorative) all around the inside of his fence. I think I've seen some 2X4's there, too. It's keeping the little buggers inside.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Try this first. Put his poop in the holes or places where his is digging. I saw this somewhere and it works for me. She never touches the spot again. I do have to keep checking for new spots though. I found this idea online and it said that eventually the dog will give up. That hasn't happened yet, but I've only been doing this for a couple of weeks. Worth a try.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Mambo likes to play with his poop. So I am not sure if that will work. I thought about the rocks and will look into them. I think I will try the chicken wire and hope he isnt to determined.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
IsabelsHuman said:
Try this first. Put his poop in the holes or places where his is digging. I saw this somewhere and it works for me. She never touches the spot again. I do have to keep checking for new spots though. I found this idea online and it said that eventually the dog will give up. That hasn't happened yet, but I've only been doing this for a couple of weeks. Worth a try.
Wow, good to know.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Mambo said:
Mambo likes to play with his poop. So I am not sure if that will work. I thought about the rocks and will look into them. I think I will try the chicken wire and hope he isnt to determined.

Thanks.
Probably won't work for you then!!! If this doesn't work for us, we'll probably try the pavers or chicken wire. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts