Just Labradors banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do any of you have any experience with non operative elbow dysplasia?

Zack will be 10 in May. Doing great health wise except the limping and upon palpitation, bouts with ED. He has gone through a lot. Had luxating knee caps and surgically fixed for both knees by age 1 1/2. The ED was to far advanced and the joint had already fused by the age of 2. He has done really well until the past 10 days. We have had him on Rimadyl for 5 days and then stopped. But still an issue of limping. He gets 1 Ascriptin daily when not taking the Rimadyl. Does anyone have any suggestion to help the senior out.

Thanks
Ginny

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Homer has just been diagnosed with ED, will undergo surgery within the next couple of weeks. From what I´ve researched it´s a lot worse than HD because there´s no muscles to help the elbows.

I lived with a lab who had HD for over 7 years (she was pts at age 13). Surgery was not an option for her. In the beggining Rimadyl kept her well, and at a later stage vet started inyections of Adequan and Legend which did wonders (she even ran...)

Vet told me Homer would have to undergo this same treatment even after surgery

At least you give me hopes if your dog is 10 and still moving, from what I read most dogs end up crippled at age 3, unable to move

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Zack was diagnosed at a year and a half with stage 2 on right and stage 1 on left. He has done really well until recently. He walks stilted, and will not walk on hardwood or ceramic or any slick surface. Put on booties and he is okay. He also has dealt with both knees being wired due to luxating knee caps. The elbow is s worse when he jumps down off of bed, we now have hopefully have him trained to wait for us to lift him down. This boy could jump over almost anything he has that much spring since the knees have been repaired. He is amazing sometimes.

How old is Homer? And is it a bi-lateral issue? I will keep Homer in my prayers and please keep us posted. Just Lab has the most remarkable network of support when we need it.

Ginny

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Thanks so much. He´s 20 months old and the problem is bilateral (though worse on the right elbow). He was diagnosed with fragmented coronoid process (little pieces of bone coming off and rubbing against elbow bones).

Homer is also a big jumper. More than the surgery I´m very concerned on how I´m going to keep him calm for a 2 month recovery period...

Hope you can find the Adequan and Legend, it helped my old Brownie a lot (we got a couple more years of reasonable comfort with this treatment)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts