Just Labradors banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow! Two years have passed so quickly.

We got Eddie, a 'lab/border collie mix' from the Humane society because his previous owner couldn't handle him anymore. There he was in his cage, wagging his tail and his tongue hanging out. DH said what about this one honey? We took him out of the cage and he jumped up and gave us all kisses. Two days later we took the other 'kids', Fanny and Windsor, to visit with him, he took one look at Fanny and ran in the opposite direction! But we got to take him home anyway.

A week later they were all in the vet with stomach upsets! Between the 3 of them we spent $1,000 at the vet's over a period of 2 weeks. Just as well we loved them and had credit. LOL!

Eddie didn't like men, except DH, when we got him and he has learnt they aren't all mean. He now goes up to some strangers in the park and gives them a lick and lets them scratch him. He still bothers Fanny every chance he gets, and sometimes she joins in and sometimes she tells him in no uncertain terms - back off buddy - so he does for a couple of seconds and he goes in for another bout. Poor Fanny.

His best trick, that he learnt with no human help, was to sit up pretty to get a treat. This is Windor's trick and Eddie watched him one night get a treat so I told him to do what Windsor did and he would get one too. So he went and sat beside him, lifted his 2 front feet up off the ground and he got a treat.

We found out, at the beginning he could sit and stay, recently we found he could drop it and leave it, which we did not teach him. He used to surf counters but now he knows he doesn't have to. And lord knows there are plenty of opportunites in our kitchen with my MIL around!

We also found that he must have been crated. We don't crate because they are rarely alone. But he loves to sleep under the desk. I got mad at him the other night and told him to go to bed and he went under the desk!

Fanny is trying to teach him to swim but he isn't interested. Hates water unless he is drinking it. Drives him nuts when Fanny stands in the middle of the kiddie pool sticking her tongue out at him and he can't get her! He will run from me if I am anywhere near the water too.

He has given us so much joy since we took him home and we are so glad we made that short trip that day to see if we could find another family member. He makes us laugh, and when I see him chasing birds at the park or playing with Fanny, or coming to one of us for a chest scratch my heart swells with love for the greatest Labradog I have ever seen.

Happy gotcha day Eddie, there will be many more of them I am sure.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
HAPPY GOTCHA DAY, EDDIE!!!!!!!!!!!

My dog has a gotcha day also, so I especially like them!!!!!!!!!!!

Bones, treats, hugs, frosty paws, whatever you want today!!!!!!!!!!!

Frances

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks everyone!

His one not so nice trick is the ability to get his tongue in a person's mouth when they least expect it................. of course, what else could happen if his face is nose to nose with mine and I am telling him what a cutie he is? But he is a great hugger.......

1 - 17 of 17 Posts