Just Labradors banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We took him to the vet Tuesday to find out that he tore his ACL in his left rear leg and that we were to keep him quiet, no jumping on furniture, using the stairs and only leash walks to the back yard for potty breaks. Su spent Wednesday, Thursday and Friday arguing with me because I wanted put him in a crate. It wasn't fair and Eddie didn't do anything wrong and that is NOT what the vet said. Well, she didn't say crate him but how else to you keep an active dog quiet?

Saturday I borrowed another crate and put one up in our bedroom and one in the den. (SU didn't say a word) Eddie balked at first but then decided that there was no choice and in he went. Sat there looking at me all day. Didn't eat all day Friday, Saturday but on Sunday ta-da! he ate. He will not take his meds, refuses PB, cheese and salami. So he gets them the hard way. He does not like Liverwurst. Talk about picky.

Not eating has upset his potty schedule - we take him out every couple of hours - so last night at 12.45 he started whining and huffing at us - I need to go out. Up I get, it is pouring with rain so I get my raincoat on, shoes and out we go - nothing - not even a sniff - in we go. 2 hours later the same thing - this time Fanny comes with us. She stands outside the door looking at me - you didn't say it was raining this bad. Eddie, standing under the umbrella I brought with me turns and walks back to the door. Into his crate he goes and continues to whine and huff. SU gets up and puts him in the crate in the den. 5am Eddie starts barking - SU gets him and Eddie sleeps in his regular bed, doesn't move until I call him for breakfast. I look in the crate and low and behold the reason for the barking and the trips outside. Poor dog, couldn't poop out in the rain but had to go somewhere. I threw the cover, an old bedpsread, out and got him a towel and old blanket to lie on and off I went to work.

Tonight is going to be interesting, doncha think?

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
Been there, done that.
First with 4 month old Moka and her broken leg.
Now with Java and her TPLO surgery for her torn CCL.
Good luck.
It sucks.
Just so you know and you can let SU know......Eddie could injure himself furthur if he is not in the crate and decides he wants to run and play. He could easily blow his other knee because he is putting more weight on that one rather than his injured one. He could also damage his meniscus in his torn knee, which could require additional surgery.
Keeping him in the crate is the best thing for him, no matter how much it stinks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts