Just Labradors banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we recently switched our dog food from purina one to purina dog chow.. it's cheaper, but still the same company, so we figured it was okay. we did do a gradual switch of the food until the old food was gone. we gave riley ample time to get used to the new food. he hasn't had any digestion problems as we can tell... if he can keep the food down. we have another dog who has switched to the new food just fine. he doesn't throw up his food.

we worry about riley because he eats way too fast now (even sucks in his stomach while he's eating) and we have been trying to slow him down. we don't know how to get our lab to slow down with eating. Any suggestions to get a lab to slow down so he will stop throwing it right back up??

thank you, our boy thanks you too!

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
Why did you switch him to begin with? Purina is not a great food overall and while I am not a fan of Purina One either, if he was doing okay on it, why the switch?

WIth regard to the eating fast, you can put a rock or a ball or your hand in his bowl while eating so he has to eat around it and it slows him down. You can also feed him on a cookie sheet to where it's spread out.

But again, why did you switch?

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Try putting a huge rock or brick in the food dish along with the food. It will slow him down.

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
They make bowls with plastic "projections" in them (for lack of better description) that's supposed to help dogs slow down eating (a fancy "rock") - that might help. But I agree with Dani - at least stick with the better quality Purina foods. A company makes lots of different "levels" of food - Purina Dog Chow is their cheapest, lowest quality food under the Purina name.

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
patm said:
They make bowls with plastic "projections" in them (for lack of better description) that's supposed to help dogs slow down eating (a fancy "rock") - that might help. But I agree with Dani - at least stick with the better quality Purina foods. A company makes lots of different "levels" of food - Purina Dog Chow is their cheapest, lowest quality food under the Purina name.
I've seen those bowls everywhere, including my local supermarket. It's kind of like they have "fingers" sticking up in them that the dog has to eat around.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I just want to echo everyone else with putting a large rock in the bowl. I had to do this for Sawyer and it made all the difference.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Here is a quick comparison between the two foods
Purina One
Protein 26%
Fat 16%
Chicken, Brewers rice, Corn Gluten Meal,Whole Grain Corn
contains more vitamins and also Glucosimine

Purina Dog Chow
Protien 21%
Fat 10%
Corn, Poultry By Product, Animal Fat,Corn Gluten Meal

You will also need to increase the amount you feed by about 1/4 cup per day when switching to Dog Chow and you should also start feeding a dog multivitamin to cover those things that you will lose when switching to the lower brand.
Also be aware that there was a study done that showed that dogs feed lower protien value foods are more likely to suffer injuries in joints and body structures.

Kelly and Amber

·
Registered
621 Posts
We tried the projection bowls with Ellie - she got used to them really quick and figured out how to wolf her food down just as fast as from a regular bowl. Now we use a muffin pan and pour a little kibble in each muffin. Slows her down considerably!!

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
We used to feed Phoebe her meals out of the Tricky Treat Ball:
http://www.omegapaw.com/TrickyTreatBall.html

She would push it around the room with her nose and eat the kibbles as they fell out bit by bit. It keeps them entertained and focused as well as presents a good challenge for them in terms of getting the food out. Worked like a charm for us!

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
Simba ate too fast so we put her food on a cookie sheet. Slowed her down and now she eats just fine from her bowl.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Frankie and Macy are both fast eaters. I put a Nylabone in their dishes now and it's slowed them down tremendously!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I 2nd the nylabone or the muffin pan what creative idea I never thought of that! As for a rock I know that wouldnt work with Trevi because she has a habit of trying to eat rocks HEHE! Also I know there is a brand of food that is meant specifically for Labs by Royal Canin and the kibble is a specific size that is actually made to slow down the labs fast eating. You might want to also try that or a combo of both.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
MumtoEllie said:
We tried the projection bowls with Ellie - she got used to them really quick and figured out how to wolf her food down just as fast as from a regular bowl. Now we use a muffin pan and pour a little kibble in each muffin. Slows her down considerably!!
That is genius! :happy:

·
Registered
7,137 Posts
All of these ideas are great. I posted the same thing when Mya was a puppy. I didn't get the muffin tin idea given to me though. (brilliant!)
I fed Mya on a large cookie sheet with the food spread out as far as I could get it, that, along with it sliding all over the floor slowed her down considerably. I did this until that special bowl came in the mail. Now, she still eats from that bowl but probably wouldn't have to.
It's called a "Brake Fast" bowl.

·
Registered
621 Posts
K8Show said:
MumtoEllie said:
That is genius! :happy:
Wish I could claim credit for the fantastic idea. Alas, another great tid bit I picked up from JL!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts