Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what's everybody making for Easter dinner on Sunday? We're having the traditional ham and scalloped taters, probably green beans, and I have a very berry pie in the freezer! Yummy!

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
We are going to my sister & BIL's for dinner. I know we are having ham, asparagus, some kind of potato, but otherwise not entirely sure.

I am bring bread, homemade Challah bread. (see picture below)

Normally I bake two loaves of this, but my 14 YO nephew sent me this message earlier this week: "yeah can u make like a lot of bread for Easter bekuz it's like amazing and make 2 loaves just 4 me." Coming from a 14 YO boy, that is a pretty awesome compliment. ROFL

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
We are having dinner on Saturday due to some having other commitments on Sunday. There will be 17 of us this time, thats everone!!!! yeah!! We are having turkey, ham, pierogies, cabbage rolls, veggies and a birthday cake LOL (BIL's b-day). Oh and 2 dogs. Weather is supposed to be devine.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
I think I'll make a turkey, stuffing, all the fixin's...

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Yawn. Ham.

I keep begging Eileen to buy lamb so we can roast it. I've even offered to do all the cooking. She's afraid our guests won't like it. And that the kids won't get anywhere near it.

I love lamb. The only time I get it is when we're out and I can order it....

**sigh**

I am making my signature breakfast for Easter (and we have it at Christmas, too): Homemade stickybuns. Amanda BEGS me for them. They're easy enough: I do them Saturday and have them all ready to toss in the oven on Sunday morning.

The wknd is going to be chock full for me: Mass tonight; Service tomorrow night; Vigil Mass Saturday night (2.5 hrs at least, as we welcome new members into the Church etc. etc. etc.); and Sunday @ 7:30, 10:30, and Noon. By the time Easter Sunday afternoon arrives, I want nothing more than to retreat into a chocolate malted milk egg coma and collapse on the couch.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Vigil Mass Saturday night (2.5 hrs at least, as we welcome new members into the Church etc. etc. etc.)
Dan... I so know this one. I have been a lector for this Vigil Mass for the last few years & 2.5 hours is probably about how long ours will run.

I'll be "playing in traffic" before the 8:00 am & the 12:00 PM mass at our church. Since Easter, especially one with really nice weather, brings out all the CAPE Catholics, I'll be helping direct traffic before those masses.

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
I'll be helping direct traffic before those masses.
Holy moley -- and I thought *my* job for Easter was tough. You'll be taking your life in your hands. Gotta love those Catholics on the way out. Filled with the Holy Spirit; nourished by the body and blood of Christ; warmed by the exchange of peace, hand-to-hand, with their brethern; and now --- "BLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP! GET THE HELL OUT OF MY WAY SR. DROOPYWIMPLE! BREAKFAST AT THE WAFFLE HOUSE AIN'T GONNA LAST FOREVER YOU KNOW!!!"

·
Registered
26,306 Posts
MIL always has Easter dinner but she called and asked if it was ok if she didn't. She has a lot going on with her chemo treatments and she didn't want us to feel not welcomed and all. Of course we don't and I told her not to even worry with Thanksgiving or Christmas Eve dinners last year but she insisted on having them.

So this year I am not sure.

·
Registered
13,130 Posts
It's just the 3 of us this year. So I am having Kowalski Kielbasa and hubby and Makenna are having grilled chicken. I am Polish it's a requirement to have kielbasa! A ham would be a big waste for us.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Holy moley -- and I thought *my* job for Easter was tough. You'll be taking your life in your hands. Gotta love those Catholics on the way out. Filled with the Holy Spirit; nourished by the body and blood of Christ; warmed by the exchange of peace, hand-to-hand, with their brethern; and now --- "BLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP! GET THE HELL OUT OF MY WAY SR. DROOPYWIMPLE! BREAKFAST AT THE WAFFLE HOUSE AIN'T GONNA LAST FOREVER YOU KNOW!!!"
Yup, definitely a life-threatening task for Sunday. I am not so much worried about them departing, I'll be long gone then.

We are directing traffic as they arrive. The way our parking lot is arranged, if the cars don't pull close enough, then we run out of parking space. So we nicely ask the people to pull as far forward as possible, since we are expecting a full house. I love the CAPE Catholics, who when you ask them to pull up, either give you a dirty look or make some snarky comment. Well, if you attended regularly, you'd know the parking process & I wouldn't have to tell you how do it.

I've actually had people I know ask me "can you save me a spot up front, so I can get out quicker". My reply, you want a spot up front, then get here earlier enough to get it, I can't save them for you.

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
We're not having Easter till the Sunday after. My daughter is leaving for the Navy on May 4 and the week after Easter is when our family could all get together to do a little going away dinner for her. We'll be having ham.

Dweck: I share your love of lamb. My kids have always liked it too since they were little. Very expensive though.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Dinner at my in-laws. I have no idea what we're eating.

Our church is on a corner, so there are two entrances/exits, one on each street. On Easter and Christmas, they make one an entrance only and one an exit only. Makes it lot easier.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
glazed ham, scalloped potatoes, green bean casserole, broccoli & rice casserole (kiddos' favorite), homemade yeast rolls, and homemade carrot cake.

My mom is cooking all of that. I can't get excited enough about Easter to do much other than the required kids' stuff anymore. Sad since it used to be my favorite holiday. She kinda takes over and makes that a special holiday for the kids, and I'm so grateful since all I want to do is close myself off to the world and cry (I don't but that's how I feel most of April).

1 - 20 of 43 Posts