Just Labradors banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9,429 Posts
I made some purple stuff, but am afraid to use it on a yellow lab. Also it must be used outside because the stuff will go flying everywhere when they shake the head.
If you have a lab who tends to have ear problems, like my Mitzi, I found that Zymox a couple times a week keeps the ears very nice.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've used EpiOtic also. More recently working on a bottle of T8 Keto flush which was prescribed for Bo the last time he had an ear infection. I use it a couple times a month, and neither boy has had an infection in over a year.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I also use EpiOtic for Cody's ears, then a few drops of otomax. It's funny, if Cody sees the EpiOtic bottle, he hides. :D

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Also, try changing the kibble you are feeding. Our Shadow used to get gunky ears all the time, we were always cleaning them or taking her to the vet to have them checked. Took her off wheat and corn and guess what? Never had another gunky ear! Champ had stinky, gunky ears when we got him, too. They've been clean and sweet for well over a year now. :D

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Cinnamon's worst ear problems resolved when I started feed Nature's Variety Chicken Instinct it is grain free so whatever caused it was a grain of some sort.

But I swear by Zymox. I use their cleaner when necessary and keep a problem of the ear infection stuff for when necessary. I have to order on line no place I have found local. My cousin who is a vet sent me my first bottle of Zymox when her ears wouldn't clear up and I have used nothing else since and that is about 4 years.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Jeb has the "yeasty beasty ears". My vet says ear problems are frequently a result of allergies. Jeb is on Evo (no grain food) so we think it is seasonal allergies. I use ADL cleanser and flushing/drying solution. I just started him on Zyrec 10 mg daily. My vet is ordering some conavite (sp?) solution to use. We'll see how it goes. I was also afraid to use the purple stuff on him. It stained the fur so I haven't used it again.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Copying what I wrote in the Heath section :

Yup, you need to find the cause of his ear issues, rather than just live with it and clean them every week.

I agree with everyone else - I bet it's his food causing the problem. My Frankie had bad ear issues for awhile. We determined he is allergic to egg and fish product, and apparently something else that we can't figure out. I put him on Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Diet, Venison & Sweet Potato and voila! Cleared the ear right up!

May I ask what you are currently feeding him?

Adding : Most ear cleaners have some sort of alcohol in them. Frankie would freak out when I put it in his ear. I found an all natural cleaner at my local pet store, all natural ingredients. You might want to try and find something like that.
:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts