Just Labradors banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering what the early signs of a female going into heat are? I know when they are in heat, but are there pre-signs?

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
The vulva usually swells a bit before they come in. Sometimes they get moody and stop listening to commands.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
My Ruby starts to scootch (sp?) her butt for about three weeks before she comes in season.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
My little girl just finished her first (and last) season and she gave us no indications what so ever, she acted no differently and it took us unawares, but then I was a complete novice to the whole scenario so didn't know what I was looking for anyway!!

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
We have a "heat" barometer over here. My 3 boys thought Grace smelled LOVELY. She was a month earlier than expected too. But I gotta trust those noses!!! They knew about a week ahead of time!

And for as pathetic and gross it may seem, dog owners need to spend some time looking at their dogs' butts. One day Grace just seemed a tiny bit swollen and there was a drop of red pee, and sure enough, she was in season a month early.

·
Registered
806 Posts
My girls either have too much coat on their rears or I'm not spending enough time starring, because I don't notice any outward signs of them coming in. I do notice the boys sniffing, which starts a couple of weeks ahead of time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the replies. And yes my girl has many of the signs, she's also been completely dominating her neutered brother, who outweighs her by about 35 lbs, which is really unusual for her.

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
After reading your prong collar post, and finding out that your dogs are 1 year old, and your male is neutered - is there a reason why you haven't fixed your girl?

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
one sure thing is that they start sort of "marking" like males, leaving little spots here and there during their walks. All of my females have always done this for up to a couple of weeks before I start seeing the red spots.

Male dogs also start getting interested (most of them want to play and make friends, not necessarily mount)

Some girls become more aggressive with other females also

1 - 10 of 10 Posts