Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My lab has terrible ears and we need to start cleaning them every other week or sooner. what kind of ear cleaner is the best?:confused:

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Would someone post the recipe for the purple stuff? I am about to mix some this weekend for the first time, so I need it too!

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Also, his diet could be contributing to his problems.

·
Registered
102 Posts
The diet is something to look at. My Aunt's yellow has the same problems. After a fortune in vet bills, I suggested she try a different protein source. Tada....she is allergic to chicken which is what is in a lot of dog foods. Now she is on Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Diet with Duck. Her ears are much better now. Good Luck

·
Registered
8,330 Posts
Agreed! Not a single ear infection in my Lab since changing him to grain free and I never clean ears.
I agree switching to grain free, too. Unfortunately, the switch hasn't ended Caleb's ear issues, but his ears have greatly improved. It seems he has some environmental allergies as well. :(

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Yup, you need to find the cause of his ear issues, rather than just live with it and clean them every week. :)

I agree with everyone else - I bet it's his food causing the problem. My Frankie had bad ear issues for awhile. We determined he is allergic to egg and fish product, and apparently something else that we can't figure out. I put him on Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Diet, Venison & Sweet Potato and voila! Cleared the ear right up!

May I ask what you are currently feeding him?

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
I will echo the masses --- change of food can greatly improve in ear gunk and smellies. :)

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
More echo, Kodi and Belle's "life-long" ear problems cleared up almost immediately when I switched foods. Each needed a different food to clear the ears up, but it was amazing!

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
Grain free helped...but i couldn't afford to continue to feed it...so I am feeding Sensible Choice, and it has limited grains (rice)...and the boys' ears are great.

·
Registered
8,330 Posts
Grain free helped...but i couldn't afford to continue to feed it...so I am feeding Sensible Choice, and it has limited grains (rice)...and the boys' ears are great.
Yeah, the grain free is pretty expensive. Like Amy, I'm feeding Natural Balance LID. It's running just over $2/pound.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
The purple stuff is okay, but I've found that the ADL cleaning and drying solutions work MUCH better.

Please have a vet examine your dog's ears before you simply begin "cleaning" them every two weeks. If you have an ongoing problem, such as yeast, you won't get rid of it without specifically treating it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Our Charlie had chronic ear infections for his first 2 years. He also had tummy issues. My daughter-his mom-investigated raw food because she had friends who were on it. He now eats all raw-duck necks, turkey necks, chicken, tripe, organs, veggies. He also get Probiotics with his dinner. He gets yogurt, carrots and bananas for breakfast. He has only had 2 ear infections since we changed his diet and one was from bread that I gave him and the other was from one of the dog park ponds. Not only is the infections gone, he lost weight and he now can't wait to eat. :)

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
In my semi-tropical part of the world, if you don't use ear wash near about every time they work/play in water, you get yeast infections, pretty much regardless of diet. My entire retriever club has battled yeast at one point or another. Although diet may be a culprit (especially inexpensive corn based foods), funky swimming holes could be contributing, too. All ours get funky this time of year. Purple stuff (I like the witch hazel version) works well, but it can stain if it gets on your carpets or floors or leather seats in your truck :)eek:). The various "otic" washes from the vet work very well, too. But they get REALLY pricey with multiple dogs or if you train a lot.

·
Registered
4,276 Posts
I think food could be a contributing factor. My lab had ear infections most of her life. Changing to grain free did help, but they never completely went away. My vet was wonderful, he tried everything...but we just could not eliminate them completely. After years of trying everything, they suggested removing the entire ear canal..I could not bring myself to go that route. I just kept her as comfortable as I could. An emergency vet that treated her before she passed away mentioned treatments I had never heard about, but we never got a chance to try them out. It is so heartbreaking and frustrating to see them suffer. Labrador ears can be a big problem. I pray your pup will be healed of the ear problems. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts