Just Labradors banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gracie has never had trouble with her ears, she is one year old. For a few days her ear has been very red...she is not scratching or shaking her head, but it is red...don't see any brown stuff ( maybe just a very little). My husband gave her a rawhide bone...which is something I never give them...could this have caused an allergy? She is going to the vet in the morning so hoping he will give her something to take the redness away. I just hope it is not an antibiotic. I went that route with my first lab and sometimes I think that made more of a problem, it seemed to be a vicious cycle. If I continue to have problems I think I am going to try grain free. My vet doesn't recommend it, but a lot of people here seem to have great results with it.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Maybe the start of an ear infection. Not uncommon with labs. I wonder why your vet doesn't like grain free. My vet thinks corn is a great ingredient! I would think vets these days would be educated with dog food.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
My vet does not believe in grain-free, either, even after Shadow's ear problems and itchies cleared up when I changed her food. Also after Champ's ears cleaned up and he stopped stinking. :rolleyes:

I guess because it isn't taught in vetinary school, it isn't acceptable. :cool:

·
Registered
8,330 Posts
Most ear infections are yeast and antibiotic will not help yeast. But it will work on bacteria. You need to know what the infection is before treating.

Grain free can definately help clear up yeast problem ears.

The purple solution works great on yeast.

http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/ears.html
Ditto that. But a heads up on grain free- it's not recommended for dogs under 18 months because of the calcium/phosphorus levels.

http://justlabradors.com/forum/showthread.php?103993-Too-young-for-grain-free

·
Registered
852 Posts
Orijen LB puppy (grain free) is safe/proper calcium/phos. Switch to adult at 12-14 months.

As for the 18 month mark. If you email Natura about EVO they will tell you not to feed it until 12 months of age. Feed their Innova in the mean time. But I do agree with not feeding excess calcium till 18 months to be on the safe side - better chance that growth plates have closed.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
The red could be anything. I see it from time to time in my dogs' ears. If it persists more than one day, I put a little otomax in it. The vet sells it to me when I ask for it. Even just wiping the ear out with some witch hazel sometimes works. The last thing I tend to assume is an allergy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.