Just Labradors banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help or advice.

Here's a quick history of Bosco's ear problems.

I have been to the vet with Bosco many times now because of his left ear. Bosco is almost 9 months old, but since I can remember he has had a problem with his left ear. Bosco has been on medications for an infection (can't remember the names of the medications), I clean his ear 3 times a week. Since he was 12 weeks old he has been on Nutro LB puppy Lamb and Rice, just in case he did have some sort of food allergy (wheat and corn). 2 months ago he was an medication for a infection, he seemed to work, but just a couple of days ago, the problem came back. Yesterday I bought Nutro dental care food, because he has plaque and tartar buildup. I do brush his teeth, but it doesn't seem to work. I needed something to help scrub his teeth clean and fight plaque and tartar buildup. I find with the puppy food, the kibbles or so small that he doesn't chew. So I'm gradually adding the food to his puppy food. Anyway, the dental food is lamb and rice aswell. Could this affect his ear? Okay..lol sorry it's getting long, now I'm just frustated, so I did my own research, now could he it be ear mites or an yeats infection instead of allergies. But wouldn't the vet know, I mean he has been to the vet many times already thsi year?

So the problem is in his left ear, there is a buildup of wax (brownish-reddish-blackish) almost like coffee grains at times.The past couple of days, it's been RED. He does not want me to touch it. He does scratch his ear sometimes, not all the time. I do have a hard time cleaning his ear properly because he won't let me.

Has anyone experienced something similiar to this with their dog? Anyone know whats going on? I'm frustated, I just wanna help my baby.

Thank you. :)

Jenn

·
Registered
102 Posts
Well I am not a vet, but my last lab ended up getting an ear infection and the vet told me it was yeast build up. Charlie actually went on 2 medications for his ears. I had to rub both in 3-4 times daily. Did you change the regular cleaning agent that you were cleaning his ear with? Maybe if you did he is having an allergic reaction to it? I wish that I could be of more help. You sound like you are doing everything you can for your baby!!! That is all you can do!

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
You can take the pup off puppy food, adult food is fine for a 9 month old.

Has the vet given you meds other than cleaner for the ears like Otomax? I would probably just find a new vet for a second opinion on the ears. Dogs can have allergies to just about anything and maybe something in the current food is bothering him...some dogs can't eat lamb and rice...but I would ask the new vet first about other possible problems in the ears before switching the food.

9 months seems awfully young for tartar build up. I wouldn't put the dog on a dental formula kibble. I would let the dog have chew bones. It could also be the dogs teeth genetically. We don't brush ours, and our 5 year old and our 1 year old have WHITE teeth. Our 4 year old has some build up. She's also the one who's wearing her teeth down from balls.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I brought Bosco to see a different vet today. He was awesome. He said it wasn't ear mites, but could be a yeast infection or bacterial infection. He gave me Canaural ear drops (Antibacterial, Antifungal, Anti-inflammatory). We'll see if that works, if not, could be allergies. I'll keep you guys updated. Thank guys! :)

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
This sounds like what i was having happen with Shadow the first year we had her. It turned out to be allergies to wheat and possibly corn.

Aside from your pup's kibble, check every treat he gets. Unless they are labeled WHEAT FREE - they aren't! And yes, even that little bit of wheat can cause a reaction in a sensitive dog. :-[ I got a sample of "bacon" dog treats (Schmackos) in the mail and gave the two pieces to Shadow. The next day, she started shaking her head and scratching her ear so I dug the package out of the trash. Guess what the first ingredient listed was? WHEAT FLOUR! Crud, I knew better than to give her something without checking first. I felt like a bad mommy. Out came the ear cleaning rinse and the cream and I had it cleared up in three days. You have to be vigilant if your dog is sensitive to food items, most especially wheat, because it is in 90% of canine food products.

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
Have you tried labby's purple ear cleaner. A lot of people on here swear by the stuff even for yeast ear infections and you can make it yourself. Hopefully what your vet gave you this time will help if not maybe try a different food maybe a salmon based or something that is totally different.

·
Registered
102 Posts
bacatherine said:
Have you tried labby's purple ear cleaner.  A lot of people on here swear by the stuff even for yeast ear infections and you can make it yourself.  Hopefully what your vet gave you this time will help if not maybe try a different food maybe a salmon based or something that is totally different.
Where can I find the purple ear cleaner?

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys!

AmazonGold: What are some WHEAT-FREE treats you buy? I bought some treats from Natural Balance, he loves them!

I'll wait and see how the vet stuff works, if not, well i'm not sure yet...lol I'm switching Bosco to adult food soon, maybe i'll try Natural balance Potato and Duck, I'm just wondering if it's okay to feed him that, not really knowing if he does have allergies?

Newmommie06: here's the link for the ear purple stuff : http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/ears.html

·
Registered
405 Posts
My Mercedez has had a bacterial ear infection since she was a pup. We had the vet take a culture and test it! Unfortunately it is a cronic bacterial infection that will need meds for the rest of her life. Whenever I have to bring her in for x rays and she has to be under anestesia we have them do a flush on the ears as well. If your vet takes a culture and has it tested he should be able to prescribe the right meds. Mercedez was also put on an antibiotic for her ear and it has cleared up alot since then. It has been a month since that visit and her ears aren's as red inside or bloody! But I hear ya That black **** is gross. It comes out in clumps! Good luck and keep us posted

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
mercedez said:
My Mercedez has had a bacterial ear infection since she was a pup.  We had the vet take a culture and test it!  Unfortunately it is a cronic bacterial infection that will need meds for the rest of her life.  Whenever I have to bring her in for x rays and she has to be under anestesia we have them do a flush on the ears as well.  If your vet takes a culture and has it tested he should be able to prescribe the right meds.  Mercedez was also put on an antibiotic for her ear and it has cleared up alot since then.  It has been a month since that visit and her ears aren's as red inside or bloody!  But I hear ya  That black **** is gross.  It comes out in clumps!  Good luck and keep us posted
Ahh poor Mercedez, that would suck to have it chronic...all the time.
I'm starting to switch Bosco's food now, I bought Natural Balance Ultra-Premium Dry Food http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/dog...ml#Ingredients ... and hopefully i'll be seeing good results, if not back to the vet...again! :(

·
Registered
405 Posts
I had asked the vet about changing her food but he said due to all her health problems as a pup that the ear thing is probably stemming from that. They have cleared up alot since the antibiotics and we only have to clean and medicate once a week as opposed to 4 times a week! She seems alot more comfortable too!

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
I had the same issue when I first brought Buck home. Vet ran a test and said it was Yeast infection. The Vet gave me Otomax and ear cleaning solution which I had to use twice a day. As soon as we'd stop the otomax regiment it would all gunk up again. And cleaning his ears was a battle.
What worked for us was a) switching his food b) The vet did two very thorough ear cleanings and I'd clean, as in flush em, daily for a month. Since then *knock on wood* his ears have been as clean as clean can be. I only clean them once a week now.
I try not to feed him anything with corn in it. I switched him from puppy chow to Solid gold which he did great on for a couple months and then developed mushy poop issue. So, now we are onto Nutro LB Puppy Lamb and rice and so far he has been doing fine with.

·
Registered
22,832 Posts
Molly had alot of brown gunk in her ear. The vet gave her antibiotic ear drops & she cleared up. I clean her ears three times weekly with a warm white washcloth. If I see that brown gunk I'm at teh vet fro drops. Luckily she didn't have anymore.
Hope your baby's ears get better too.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Have you tried adding acidophilus or probiotics to her food?  I have been using it in Maggie's ears for several months.  Typically in the Spring and Summer she would get very itchy and have gunky ears.  The acidophilus powder has made a big difference.  She has been remarkably better this Summer. I get it in the refrigerated section of the health food store and give her about 1/2 teaspoon of powder a day.  It may be worth a try.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts