Just Labradors banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

Okay, I have another question for you. I am new to all of this and want to make sure I do everything the way I am supposed to :)

What do you use to clean your lab's ears? Also, what is the correct way to clean their ears? How often?

Thanks again!!!!

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm sure everyone has a different opinion on this... but... I know that when & if you do attempt to clean ur lab's ears. Alot of people have had success with the purple ear solution. You can get the recipe from the woodhaven labs site.

G

·
Guinness said:
I'm sure everyone has a different opinion on this... but... I know that when & if you do attempt to clean ur lab's ears. Alot of people have had success with the purple ear solution. You can get the recipe from the woodhaven labs site.
Here is a link to the formula referenced above: http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/ears.html

I haven't tried it - but I'm going to. I just got the Gentian Violet in the mail.

You shouldn't mess with their ears unless they are dirty, gunky, or smelly. You should, however, dry their ears if they get wet.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I picked up an ear cleaning solution from my vet. Just squirt a little in there and rub it in with the ear flap closed. Let her shake it out and clean up with cotton balls. They recomend that we do this weekly, but it usually ends up being bi-weekly... I know different vets have different opinions on different dogs.. So I'd check with your vet to be sure...

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
I only clean ears IF there is gunk in them. Otherwise I leave well enough alone.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
I don't clean my dogs' ears either unless they are bothering with them. I have a solution made of witch hazel, boric acid and tea tree oil (couldn't find the gentian violet and found an alternative "recipe") and it works great. Grace was shaking her head and scratching her ear. I cleaned it with the solution and it stopped.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I agree with what has been said. The only thing I would add is handle your dog's ears, feet, and mouth so they are used to it.
Olie

·
Registered
44 Posts
We use a half & half solution of rubbing alcohol and vinegar (swimmers solution) with cotton balls whenever they need it. You can quite often smell it when something is starting in their ears. My two have started swimming daily already. Don't know how they do it when there still is some ice in the water. Since we have all sorts of geese and other water fowl around here, we will be checking their ears daily.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
The only thing about the rubbing alcohol is that if the dog has any open cuts or sores in its ears that stuff is going to burn.
Olie

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Rowan's ears have always been clean so I have never bothered to clean em. I figure if it isn't 'broken' why fix it.. kwim?? But she will be exploring water in the next few months for the first time so I need to remember to dry her ears afterward.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Gracie's ears seem to have gotten worse as she has gotten older. She has never had an ear infection (I hope I did not just jinx that!) and her ears have always been clean. Within the past few months she had developed lots of brownish-purple gunk, worse in one ear than the other. I took her to the vet and they did check it out, no infection, but for whatever reason, she is producing more wax in the one ear. We are supposed to clean her ears twice a week with a solution the vet gave us. She hates to have the stuff squirted in her ears (I don't blame her, I had an ear infection lately and the drops being dispensed in the ear were horrible....they were really cold and I ended up shaking my head "like the dog" my hubby said! I have much greater appreciation for how it feels to them now!) The vet suggested wetting a cottonball and rubbing the ear with it as you squeeze the solution into the ear...then close the ear flap and squish it around. You can use a Q-tip to clean out in the ear canal, don't worry about the ear drum, a dog's ear canal is L shaped and you can't get to the ear drum to injure it.

Your vet should be able to demonstrate how to do this....he/she may even have some tips that you don't pick up here!

·
Registered
242 Posts
I use cotton balls for Sammie's ears...I use about 4 large ones, saturate them with the solution (from my vet) and then squeeze them into his ear, filling the channel. I then massage the ear. I take clean cotton balls and wipe gently around his ear until the ball comes out clean. Sam doesn't like this too much but has resigned himself to his fate.

He will lay down on the floor and give up...I sit beside him and clean both ears without him moving much at all. At first he would run and hide but repetition really helps...and if you keep the ears clean the cleaning is not painful, maybe even soothing. But if the ears are infected I think this is painful and then the dog associates the cleaning with pain. Best to be as proactive as possible. :0)

...just wanted to add...Sam is prone to ear infections and swims a lot. He has already have a couple of bad infections...so I have to monitor and keep his ears clean. For dogs that don't have a problem...I agree...leave the ears alone or just clean once in a while.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I don't use any solution. I usually just wipe out any gunk I see with a baby wipe. I usually do this after I brush her teeth (about every other day). It's our routine.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Just my 2c here, but I would NEVER use an alcoholic solution for ears. Have you ever used rubbing alcohol on your body? It BURNS, right? What do you think it does to your dog's ears? Yes, there are sensitive, protective hairs in your dog's ears that are burned by using alcohol. When these hairs are burned, they cease to provide the protection they were made for which, in turn, is like an invitation for more gunk, build-up, and infection- a lesson learned by my SMIL.

Now, secondly, I rarely ever have to clean ears now that I've found the right food for my dogs (no more yeast infections, yay!!), but when I do clean them I use a Malacetic (which I imagine is similar to or is what most of the other posters have refered to as the "purple stuff") solution which gently neutralizes yeast and gunk and leaves the protective hairs unaffected.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I think you might find that most ear solutions, homemade or commercial, including the the "purple stuff" have alcohol in them. The acidic part reduces the burning of the alcohol. I got the half and half mix from my first vet over 40 years ago and my current ones endorse it as well. Just my 2 cents. :)

·
Registered
703 Posts
My dog's ears do not get dirty either, but I do clean them with a solution I got online, they use it as the AMC in NYC. If you want the name of it - send me a message.

Even though they rarely get dirty, I clean them every 3-4 weeks in the winter and a little more (2-3 weeks) in the summer b/c he swims more.

·
Registered
440 Posts
jdgrunt said:
I think you might find that most ear solutions, homemade or commercial, including the the "purple stuff" have alcohol in them. The acidic part reduces the burning of the alcohol. I got the half and half mix from my first vet over 40 years ago and my current ones endorse it as well. Just my 2 cents. :)
I guess the Malacetic is probably not the "purple stuff" then. My vet said specifically this was non-alcoholic. This is the Malacetic Otic that I use. I love it, the dogs love it, it works wonderful, and it smells like peaches...

http://www.dermapet.com/prod-09.html

1 - 19 of 19 Posts