Just Labradors banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read somewhere it was okay to squirt a little rubbing alcohol in the ears after swimming to help dry them out. We also have a solution from the vet, but it's fairly expensive. Is just the rubbing alcohol okay to squirt in there?

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Ouch! If there is any evidence of inflammation/redness, this would (and does- I know, I have chronic ear problems, too!) really sting!

I would use something more gentle and less alcohol-based. Labby's purple stuff seems to be a great cleaner. :)

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
"Do not use alcohol, ether or other irritating solvents; they can cause intense pain and inflame the tissues." p. 185, Giffin & Carlson

Giffin & Carlson, "Dog Owner's Home Veterinary Handbook," 3rd edition, 2000, 570+ pp, $30 list, $25 Amazon (US$). It has a useful 44 page chapter on emergencies and first aid. This book saves worry, money from vet bills, and your dog's health; it repays its price many times over. Every dog should come with one; every dog owner should refer to it whenever needed.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Thanks for posting the Handbook....I'm sure it also saves some "PANIC" moments!
I have to buy it!

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone :)

I though Labby's purple stuff was just for possible infections though? Is it okay for everyday use?

I'm looking for something not too expensive that is okay to use after he swims every day just to dry the ears out. He goes bobbing for sticks a lot, so I know water is getting down in there.

I need to order that Vet Handbook too, it's definitely on the birthday list!

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
I have had two vets reccommend a solution that is comprised of 1/3 purified water, 1/3 white vinegar, and 1/3 rubbing alcohol. It not only sterilizes, but helps to dry out any water left in the ears from swimming etc. Works great for Jaida!

·
Registered
14 Posts
yellojakesmom said:
I though Labby's purple stuff was just for possible infections though? Is it okay for everyday use?

I'm looking for something not too expensive that is okay to use after he swims every day just to dry the ears out. He goes bobbing for sticks a lot, so I know water is getting down in there.
At the very bottom of that page (linked above in the thread), there's this (I added bolded bits):
I must warn you all, if your dog isn't having problems with its ears DO NOT USE ANYTHING IN THEM. If you do you could upset the pH balance and actually cause ear problems. If its not broke don't fix it! Just wipe these ears with a clean/dry cotton ball weekly and count yourselves among the lucky ones.
I have to admit, when I started reading this thread (and even when I first started reading the page for that recipe), my mind began to race ... "Kluane likes it when I scratch just under the opening of her ear ... Is she infected!?" or "Oh no! I've been taking her to the lake and ponds, and letting her gallumph through puddles at the dog park, and haven't been wiping her ears! eeek" ... but after seeing that little bit at the bottom, I calmed down again ;D

Yes, I worry sometimes that I'm not doing things right, but I do know that I check her ears regularly. They have never had anything build up in them, and they've never smelled ... and I don't clean them. I think if I do change anything, I might consider drying her ears out with a cotton ball after swimming from now on ... maybe.

That said, thanks for the link to the recipe - because if ever there is a day when she gets an ear infection, that looks like a good recipe to use.

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
I'm not sure how well it works or if you would use it daily but I got some stuff at PetSmart that is kind of a power that's made to dry their ears after cleaning or water. I havne't used it much though I normally use use a cotton ball.

Mocha got a bad ear infection after swimming last summer so I will clean hers our after swimming from now on but she only goes a few times a summer. I would just try a cotton ball most days and maybe clean them once a week or so.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts