Just Labradors banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this over in the Hunt and Field Trails, but there is very little traffic over there.

Can anyone recommend an e-collar that only has tone control. I don't need a shock collar any longer and the SportDog 1800 I have is heavy on her neck, and limited tone capability. I would like to find a good light weight tone collar that in combination with the transmitter has good range and battery life.

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
oohhh great topic, I have wanted to try training using tone (rather than jumping to shock) for offleash work. But I also would hate to buy the tone one only to have Rocky just blow it off, yet buying both the e-collar WITH the tone thingy is like $400!!!

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I found that you can get these things at 50% 60% on ebay. New in the box. I have to decide what I want now. I am looking for something that is small and lightwieght on her neck. I don't need the shock, she responds to the tone well.

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
Like Millstonekennel, we use a Dogtra (ours is the 200NCP model) and 99.999% of the time use only the Pager (vibration) button. The intensity of its elec stim (either on brief Nick or Continuous/5") can be infinitely adjusted between can't feel it and full strength. Love it.

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
My neighbours have a collar that just vibrates for their dogs. I believe the collars were designed for training deaf dogs in mind, but the principal is the same. Worth looking into maybe?

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My neighbours have a collar that just vibrates for their dogs. I believe the collars were designed for training deaf dogs in mind, but the principal is the same. Worth looking into maybe?

Could you get a brand name? I have been searching the web and everything I find has the shock capability.

I am not afriad of the shock feature, I just don't use it. I am looking to find something lighter. I know how these things are made, and there are a couple components in them to generate and store the high voltage that add to the weight of the unit.

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Trickster. I found them. Yep, available on both sides of the Atlantic apparently. Pretty small and light with limited range. Going to have to think this through.

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
The thing I like about having the "Nick" on my Dogtra is that occasionally Puff shrugs me off when I give her a page. Well, usually FIRST I call her or whistle for her to come AND when she doesn't respond to that, then I give her a "Page"

Whenever she becomes unresponsive to the "Page" then I give her a "Nick" to which she always responds and then quite reliably responds to the "Page" calls and the whistle or verbal commands for awhile.

The intensity level of the electrical stim that I use is very low -- barely feelable on my fingers' bare skin, and much less than most static electricity shocks -- but it works well for her.

If HK isn't responding to your calls, couldn't the same thing happen with a plain pager?

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Here's an example of my two wearing their Sport Dog SD-2000 collars and reacting to a tone while I was trying to get them to look at me for the picture!

I use the tone feature for "atta boys" at distance, and sometimes also in place of the whistle when I want them to turn and look back at me for a remote handling command. I don't like using the tone feature for corrections. It's way too easy for them to disregard you without the negative and instant impact of a knick for non-compliance issues.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Like Millstonekennel, we use a Dogtra (ours is the 200NCP model) and 99.999% of the time use only the Pager (vibration) button. The intensity of its elec stim (either on brief Nick or Continuous/5") can be infinitely adjusted between can't feel it and full strength. Love it.
Payton's trainer also uses the Dogtra NCP200 model w/ VERY good results. We have been able to increase her freedom with its use. The pager is a great feature, but the "nick" comes in very handy when needed. This is an early work in progress as she just started her lessons in December.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I would rather have vibrate than "tone." In running or lunging water, they can legit not hear the tone, they are just not that loud. They can always feel the "cell phone buzz" of vibrate. It may just depend on what you want to do with it.

I would send an email to Steve Snell at www.gundogsupply.com and ask him what he recomends. He is the guru of ecollars, he sells more than anyone else by far.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts