Just Labradors banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone recommend an e-collar that only has tone control. I don't need a shock collar any longer and the SportDog 1800 I have is heavy on her neck, and limited tone capability. I would like to find a good light weight tone collar that in combination with the transmitter has good range and battery life.

·
Registered
33 Posts
They are a bit expensive (not as expensive as tri-tronics) but I would get a Dogtra collar that has tone, static shock, and pager vibrate. I have heard other trainers poo poo the tone only collars as they say that they promote disobedience. I think that the premise behind this is that when you give your dog a command and you're sure they heard and understand that they should do it. By using the tone you're giving them a chance to disobey with little or no consequence. I don't know how much validity there is to this really, so far my Choco is pretty obedient in the field, but I did have to shock him once when we were at a very large lake and he started swimming to a boat, which was about 3/4 of a kilometer away.

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I appreciate the input. I understand the viewpoint of the 'other trainers'. I suspect it all depends on what we expect from our dogs.

All I need is something to reminderher, 'Hey! I was talking to you.' She is really pretty good. It is just when she spots a rabbit or deer in the neighborhood that she needs to be reminded what the words Come or Leave It mean. A tone does it.

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
Which dogtra collar are you talking about (I cannot find it on their website) - looks like what I would like to try. I'd like to try. What exactly is the different between static shock, pager and regular shock collar?

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
http://www.gundogsupply.com/dog-training-collars-6.html

I would want vibration rather than tone, but that's just me. You may not hear a tone in running/lunging water, etc, but they can feel the vibration. Send an email to Steve Snell at gundogsupply.com. He sells more ecollars than everyone else, and can tell you what is out there that might work for you.

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
I would suggest a vibration and tone. Belle responds to tone only, but I have the stimulation (she has a shock collar) for back up if needed. I would think that they could learn to ignore the tone just as well as your voice. I have a Sportdog, that it's highest level of shock is pretty weak and certaionly no worse than a vibrate setting.

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would suggest a vibration and tone. Belle responds to tone only, but I have the stimulation (she has a shock collar) for back up if needed. I would think that they could learn to ignore the tone just as well as your voice. I have a Sportdog, that it's highest level of shock is pretty weak and certaionly no worse than a vibrate setting.
Really? If that is true, I don't think your SportDog is working right. Mine has 8 settings. I used it on myself before I ever put it on HK. I will describe the settings.
1: Not sure I felt anything
2: I am pretty sure I felt something, but not close to the static discharge from grabbing a doorknob.
3: Hey! I felt that. Didn't particularly like it, but it didn't hurt.
4: Okay, that hurt. It really hurt. HK is never going to feel that.
5-8: No idea what they feel like. Never going to try it, and HK is never going to feel it.

I am looking for something that is lighter in weight than the SD1800 I currently put on HK. Actually, putting it on is about all I have to do. Occassionally will have to use the tone. That is usually only when a deer or rabbit has caught her attention and she is off before I spot it and tell her to Leave It. I don't even call her then, it would be useless. I let her chase until she is out of sight or I see a hazard of some kind approaching. Then I just hit the tone and she will break off and return. That is really all I use it for.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
If your Sportdog on the highest setting is not PROFOUNDLY uncomfortable, something is probably wrong with your unit, or it needs to be recharged. My TT unit goes from 1 to 6, with low medium and high at each level. EM works on a low 4. The output increases exponentially as you go up. I have given myself a high 6, and it would make you yelp. However, I have seen more than one dog who can take that kind of heat. Thank goodness I don't own one!

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
just so I understand all the options:
tone: sound only
Vibration/vibe: no shock going directly to the dog (i guess indirect electricity as it goes thru teh collar to make it vibrate)
shock: electrical current goes into the dog?
ETA: ok just read the link! thanks!

Any model recommendations? The distance would not have to be huge, no more than a few acres (not sure how to measure, say a football field). For offleash work. I do not mind paying $300 but anything more than that would have to really be worth it. I hate having to spend this much money and not be able to get my hands on and TRY these things. What if I get the wrong one at $300+shipping? What if I find I don't use it at all?

I am looking at:
Tri-Tronics Sport Basic http://www.gundogsupply.com/tri-tronics-g3-sport-basic.html
dogtra 1900 http://www.gundogsupply.com/dogtra-1900ncp.html

thanks for your PM HK's dad !

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
just so I understand all the options:
tone: sound only
Vibration/vibe: no shock going directly to the dog (i guess indirect electricity as it goes thru teh collar to make it vibrate)
shock: electrical current goes into the dog?
ETA: ok just read the link! thanks!

Any model recommendations? The distance would not have to be huge, no more than a few acres (not sure how to measure, say a football field). For offleash work. I do not mind paying $300 but anything more than that would have to really be worth it. I hate having to spend this much money and not be able to get my hands on and TRY these things. What if I get the wrong one at $300+shipping? What if I find I don't use it at all?

I am looking at:
Tri-Tronics Sport Basic http://www.gundogsupply.com/tri-tronics-g3-sport-basic.html
dogtra 1900 http://www.gundogsupply.com/dogtra-1900ncp.html

thanks for your PM HK's dad !
For what you are describing, I would get the Dogtra, since it has vibration, and is waterproof. If you are going to train hard, there are really only 2 choices in ecollars, TT and Dogtra. 99.9% of pros and serious Am's use those brands. I have destroyed a Sportdog already in brackish water. With TT or Dogtra, you can always turn around and sell it on the hunting/training boards and not take a beating if you decide to get rid of it.

I am a die hard TT guy, but TT has not done well in the reliability of the non-tube transmitters they introduced to try and be competitive at a lower price point. So, of those 2 choices, I would get the Dogtra you referenced. They are rock solid. Or look at this one:

http://www.gundogsupply.com/dogtra-280ncp-platinum.html

Remember, if you want a 1/2 mile range, get a 1 mile collar, etc.

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
thanks alot guys - i'm trying to find a supplier for the dogtra in canada (with little luck, will have more time to search over the weekend). I am leaning towards it as it has both the vibe and the shock. no final decisions made, I need to see how much the dogtra is from a canadian supplier (if that is even possible).

I completely see the point of view that a "warning" is just something a dog can ignore (they already got the command which they know). I guess I would have liked to test out the collars and see if the vibe/sound would have been enough to get Rocky's attention back on me (and follow the command given) but I'd have to buy the collar to find out!

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
You won't have any trouble getting money back out of a Dogtra 1900 on classifieds if you decide its not for you.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts