Just Labradors banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm fairly certain I will go with the Dogtra 1900 (I think that was it) but before I get to far I'd like to start reading up on how to train with e-collars.

any tips on what to get as far as books (preferably) and videos?

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
Not sure what your intent is. I am not anti e-collar so don't take me wrong. You said, 'how to train with e-collar'. I don;t think that is a good idea. I am assuming you are as novice as I was when I first started to consider an e-collar. e-collar is for reinforcement of known commands when off lead and at a distance. You don't want to try to train with the e-collar. Only to correct behaviour when a known command is ignored.

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
the training is already done and repeated many times (and reinforced) it's to reinforce the recall offleash (and drop it). He knows.

What I mean is, when you start using the e-collar you don't just slap it on then say "rocky come" and buzz if he doesn't come. What are the steps to using e-collars at first.

I don't believe in training new commands, or even just jumping too quickly to the e-collar. I've gone back and forth on this for two years and again, it's still not purchased.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Tanya: The very best, without peer, instructional information on collar conditioning your dog is Mike Lardy's "Total E-Collar Conditioning." You can get it at www.totalretriever.com or most of the gun dog places.

·
Registered
423 Posts
It is always best to teach at least three things with an E-collar a Go, a stop, and a come, so they do not by default always come to you when you nick them.

Kelly and Amber

1 - 6 of 6 Posts