Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it's that time again, time to go shopping for a new vacuum, specifically one for the boyz' wreck room. We have a really nice Miele canister that works great on our hardwood floors, but are looking for something that will suck the crap out of the carpet down in the boyz' wreck room. LOL. The one I'm using down there right now is an old Bissell upright and I vacuum and then roll around on the floor with the boyz and am covered in fur!

So... Dyson owners... which one do you have, and do you love it? like it? wouldn't get another one even if your life depended on it?

Consumers Reports ranked the Animal at #13, the Absolute Animal at #21, the Complete at #26 and the Ball was at #38.

Thanks, in advance! :)

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
I have the plain old Dyson, a refurb that we bought off WOOT!, and we love it. I had previously purchased the Consumer Reports #1 rated bagless, and it was not worth the price (under $200). Personally, I am finding that Consumer Reports is slanted towards certain brands.

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
We have the plain ol' Dyson Animal (DC16? 17??) and love it. I know there are many regular posters on this forum who don't like the Dyson product...but going on 3 years later, we couldn't be happier.

In fact, every time I vacuum, I still marvel over how much hair the vac picks up. =)

·
Registered
7,052 Posts
Well, I just had to replace my vac. Since Kenmore didn't make a comparable model to my old one, I bought a Dyson canister vac. So far so good. It really does suck up the dirt. Hope it lasts as long as my old Kenmore.

·
Registered
6,666 Posts
We have the DC14 Animal. We got it at Bed Bath & Beyond with a 20% off coupon. Our previous vacuum was a Hoover. The day we brought the Dyson home, I vacuumed as thoroughly as possible with the Hoover (like five times). Then I vacuumed with the Dyson. I wanted to see if it would get anything up that the Hoover didn't. I was shocked at how much fine dirt/dust the Dyson picked up after vacuuming so many times with the Hoover. That said, I believe that the Dyson does a good job but I just like it, I don't love it. The main thing that bugs me is that it's so flat-fronted (stubby) that it won't go even half an inch under the couch/chairs/bed to get the dog hair that collects along those spots. And it does't have a light on the front, but that's not such a big deal.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
I have a question about Dyson's....why do carpet stores state that a Dyson will void the carpet warranty? I was looking at getting a Dyson but read that.

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
I have a DC-07. I bought it refurbished on Amazon for less than $200. I didn't like it as well on my mom's plush carpet when I used it at her house. We have berber at home and it is fine on that, as well as hard surfaces.

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
I bought a Dyson animal and really like it. The part I especially like is dumping the canister. My old Hoover windtunnel was awful to empty and I had to brush out the filter everytime. Very messy.

·
Registered
12,170 Posts
Save your money and get the electric powerbrush for your Miele. With that your Miele will do better than the Dyson.

·
Registered
16,129 Posts
I'm perpetually stumped by Consumer Reports' vacuum ratings. We've had the Dyson Animal Ball for five years now and we LOVE it. I love how it makes supertight turns, which makes vacuuming around coffee tables, planters, etc., really easy. And it's very powerful and easy to empty.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
DC14 Animal (the purple) one is what we use. Got it from ebay, refurbished several years ago. LOVE IT!!! Can't live without it!!

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
I have the Dyson Animal Upright -- can't remember which one though. It is purple and gray. It does a very good job on carpet. I replaced a Hoover Wind Tunnel. Brought it home, vacuumed with the Hoover, then with the Dyson. It was really disgusting what the Hoover left and the Dyson vacuumed.
It is not so good on bare floors. It tends to spit some of the particles around the floor. And the wand is easily accessible, but kind of...bulky? The rigid part is too long.
If I were buying one today, I would buy the Miele upright. It is much more maneuverable. And supposedly does equally well on carpet and better on bare floors.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I have a Dyson Animal 17 and LOVE IT. I'm always amazed at the hair and dust it picks up. Highly recommended for those with pets.

·
Registered
21,293 Posts
We have the plain ol' Dyson Animal (DC16? 17??) and love it. I know there are many regular posters on this forum who don't like the Dyson product...but going on 3 years later, we couldn't be happier.

In fact, every time I vacuum, I still marvel over how much hair the vac picks up. =)
This ! ^^^^^^^

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
I have the Animal DC 14, love love love it
had a Wind Tunnel before that specially for pet hair,
didnt suck ! I have been a loyal consumer reports fan
since I was 17, but they are for some reason against
Dysons, I think maybe the price ?
I will never buy anything but !
BTW, check out E-bay, thats where I got mine and
saved $200 !

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
I have the regular Dyson. I understand the only difference in that and the pet was is the attachments.
It sucks pretty good on the thicker carpet but I hate it on the hardwood floors.
There are better vac's out there for the price. I have watched it go over a strand of dog hair a zillion times and not pick it up.
Oh and the plastic part that falls open to let you dump out the "cargo" broke before it was even a year old.

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts