Just Labradors banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking through my desk drawer here and work, and guess what I found? Your tribute to Wesley that you wrote several years ago for his birthday.

I believe the subject was....But He's Just A Dog...remember it?

:)

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It was such a great tribute, Denise! I hope Dan shares it again.

It brought happy tears to my eyes. How funny that I "found" it today, just shortly after Wesley's 7th birthday. :)

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
“But He’s Just a Dog!”

To my knowledge, I’ve never uttered those words. Nor do I expect to. Lucky me, having been raised with respect and admiration for these wonderful animals. I can only begin to repay what’s been given to me by passing it on, instilling it into my own children like a legacy.

He’s a pet – not a wild animal, not a toy. We’ve invited him into our home, to share our hearth and table. He has needs – basic ones – and we attend. We have needs as well. And he attends. It is the most symbiotic of relationships outside human-to-human.

He’s a dog – no ‘just’ needed. Not a bird. Not a snake. Not a hamster. He’s been prepped for millennia to serve, as worker, as companion. And our hearts and hands have been hardwired to respond to those velvety ears with a touch, to those soulful eyes with a hug, to that tail-thump with the toss of a tennis ball.

He’s a part of the family – the kids adore him. Spouse grumbles at the hair and the newspaper knockabouts, but her shyly slipping a slice of roast or an extra biscuit belie her sometimes frustrations. I am responsible for much of his daily care, but it nowhere near approaches being a ‘chore.’ I am thusly bound to walk him twice a day, exposing my very self to sunshine and rain, heat and cold, flowers and snow, dawn and dusk – all the variations of environment the Lord has blessed us with to keep our lives vibrant and interesting. And I enjoy these gifts not from behind a window in the living room but by actually donning the coat, the sneakers, the boots, the shorts, and experiencing them firsthand. Not a bad deal by half.

He’s a confidante – we talk. He listens. He never judges or disagrees. He’s priestly in his ability to keep my transgressions from others.

He’s a playmate – One of our three learned to walk by digging fingers into his fur. He never complained. Nor did he stir when she climbed him with Everest-like determination. When the kids are bored, all it takes is for them to give a shake of his toy, and he’s ready for action. When I jangle the keys to go on an errand – no matter where – he’s ready. He never whines about how ‘boring’ the destination may be, and he’s always glad to see people when we go, even if it’s only to the hardware store for a bolt.

He is a teacher – Patience. Persistence. Self-sacrifice. Loyalty. Forgiveness. The thrill of achievement. The benefits of love.

He is ambassador – opening doors of friendship. To neighbors. To obedience class participants and staff. To cyberpals here.

He is Wesley. A study in dichotomies. Gently strong. Joyously contained. Calmly energetic. Muscularly soft. Protectively generous. Handomely goofy. Sometimes needily friendly. Sometimes quietly aloof.

Long may he reign in our household.

:)

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Dan!!
I hope many people read this. :)

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
aww.... :'( That made me cry!