Just Labradors banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This past Saturday when we were at our house in the mountains, Dutch vomited; in the vomit were some leaves and other debris. Subsequently, he threw up about ten more times that day; each time it was yellow & viscous and foamy.

We went home the next morning, and our vet directed us to go to a specific animal emergency center. They did x-rays and said that they were unable to get a good picture of his intestines because they were probably filled with gas. They admitted him with the plan to do another set of x-rays again in two hours and said that they might keep him over night. The estimate for the care they planned to give him was $743-$1145.

Later that afternoon, the vet contacted me and said that the most recent x-rays were more clear, and that they didn't see anything, and that we could come and opick him up. Not more than ten minutes later, he called again and said that now they saw something on the x-ray that looked like an obstruction and they thought they should do surgery to remove it. I gave the okay, of course, even after being told that the estimate now was $3000-3900.

Following the surgery, a different vet called me and said that he had good news and bad news. The good news was that Dutch had come through the surgery fine; the bad news was that they didn't find anything in his intestines. Once they had him opened up and hadn't found an obstruction, I authorized three biopsies (one from his stomach, and two from his intestines).

Now I have to pay for a surgery that didn't result in resolving the problem. In fact, they still don't know why he was vomiting. We went to visit him yesterday and when we got there, he was spitting up blood...a different vet on duty that day (Dr. White) said they weren't sure why he was doing that either. We saw the x-rays, and we could see what appeared to be small version of a ping-pong ball...but it had turned out to be nothing

I called today and spoke with Dr. White and he said that Dutch should be ready to go home later today if he continues doing well. The biopsy results are not in yet, so I need to call later this afternoon to see if the results are in, and make sure they don't have to keep him there for some reason related to what they find.

Members of our family feel that the vet did not act in the dog's best interest doing an invasive procedure based on one xray; they are encouraging me to persue this so I don't have to pay for the surgery.

Any thoughts on this whole experience/issue?

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
I have no legal advice for you, but I'm sorry Dutch had to go through this and I sure hope you get him home and he feels better soon.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Sounds like to me that he should have had a barium study done. That is where they make him swallow barium and take X-rays throughout the day to see the stomach and intestinal walls clearly and also any obstructions. This is something most vets do before ever going into surgery just to make sure there is a reason to go in. I also wonder why they wouldn't have done endoscopy where they take a tiny camera down his throat to make sure there wasn't something stuck there especially with vomiting up blood. I don't know why they wouldn't have thought of those things first unless they were just looking at the dollar signs $$$. Those are simple procedures to do that rule out other things before going into surgery. I would question them on those two things at least. Good luck, hope Dutch gets better!

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
Oh gosh- I have no experience with blockage surgeries, so I'm no help. It does though, seem pretty ballsy to open him up, based on a "guess". But then again, the vet must have been concerned enough with all his other symptoms that something must have been going on. Perhaps he felt that he didn't have much time to do anything else BUT go in, in fear of losing him. It's his call, really.

I'm so sorry, I just don't know (I'm still reeling from my boys leg surgery and the fact that they can't just "throw in" an e-collar, after all we spent ::))

·
Registered
22,832 Posts
I sorry that Dutch went through that but it may have been a tough call. I hope Dutch is home soon & feeling better.

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
This is a tough call. When Ranger was about a year old, he started suddenly started vomiting, was lethargic. I took him to an emergency vet. They did xrays and didn't see anything. The vet felt his abdomen and "may" have felt something. He discussed several different choices of treatment and basically said it was my decision. I decided to have him do the exploratory surgery and he did find a blockage -- two pieces of a chew hoove. So in my case, it did work out for me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts