Just Labradors banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Laurie's thread yesterday got me thinking about this...
One man's trash is another man's treasure..

My DH is a master Dumpster Diver...he lovessss to find treasures in other people's trash. I have made him promise not to trash pick on our block ::) But he has scored some nice stuff over the years.
Fish tanks, dog crates, bikes, treadmill, copy machine, computer monitor... all still working and in good shape.

So, what is the BEST piece of trash/junk that you have ever gotten from the dump, curb, dumpster?

·
Registered
26,306 Posts
Well when we were kids my dad got a sled out of the trash...the red/wooden kind with the runners!! WE had a blast on that thing!!

·
Registered
13,130 Posts
We have never gotten anything directly from the trash but SU has "saved" things from being thrown out at work. We have about 20 in wall speakers, 2 computers, monitors, speakers, DVD players that SU's company was just going to trash. We some JBL speakers thatjust needed to have wires sodered the pair sold for $150. We have many boxes of speaker wire as well. SU works for a security distributor and they sell all of this stuff the contractors.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
I can't think of anything I have gotten, but last week we bought a new patio set. So I put the old plastic table and half broken chairs out on the curb. Literally less than an hour later I saw 2 women load them into a pickup truck!! :laugh:

P

·
0 Posts
Oh man, the hubby's family is great at this!! They will bring home a piece of wood furniture that was out to the trash and fix and refinish and it looks GORGEOUS. There is a lot of furniture in the family that came in that way. There have also been several push mowers that only needed a new spark plug or on the odd occasion a new pull string.

The biggest find was floor tiles. One of the brothers-in-law works maintenance for a city and one of the jobs is to pick up things too large for the trash man. One house had literally a truck load full of tile sample books. He brought them to Mom's house, we popped out the tiles from the plastic books and she tiled a new bathroom in the basement with them.......all nice 6 or 3 inch white tiles and half way up the walls with them too. 8)

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
We have a hideous chair in my living room that DH grabbed from the curb on his parents street. Its too small to slip cover well, so I have 2 fleece blankets strategically tucked and pinned, but it always comes loose. I hate that thing. Every time I try to fix the cover I end up in the worst mood and get in an argument with DH about why we can't just get new living room furniture.

Great thanks, now I'm in a bad mood and mad at DH! ;)

·
Registered
145 Posts
We have a "take it or leave it" section at our local recycling/trash transfer facility (aka the dump). Some of the things I've picked up include a Coach tote bag (used but in really good shape), a leather book bag in like-new condition (sold it for $60 on eBay!), a complete set of Dansk wooden salad bowls (very lightly used), a Rowenta Professional iron and a nice wicker coffee table that's perfect for plants. And that's just some of the stuff I've found - my husband has found all kinds of good stuff too. On the flip side, we've left some good stuff there too. One man's trash...

As you can imagine this is a really popular place, especially on weekends.

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
I am not allowed to go to the dump unsupervised. It is quite possible for me to come back with more than I left. Richer folks than I, throw out really good usable stuff. I have gotten snowblowers,lawn mowers and weed eaters that required about 15 minutes of work and ran like champs. I have used some and sold some. It's pathetic. I need help.

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
I love trips to the dump. We got a small children's trampoline from there not long ago which I gave to my cousins. The good stuff (bikes, etc.) usually gets taken.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts