Just Labradors banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am fostering a 5 month old yellow pup for a local rescue.. She's been with me 4 days today.

When she pooped this morning, I noticed somethings in her poop. It was white & a little bigger than a grain of rice. It did not appear to be moving. I am told she's been "wormed" so I am wondering is that is not the dead worms passing through her system. The rescue provided me with another dose of the worming stuff, but I don't want to give it to her unless she needs it.

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
HKs input/output cycle is 24 to 48 hours. I would think that after 4 days, anything coming out would be the result of what she ate since you got her, or something that was living in her. Has she eaten anything that could give that appearance? If not, I would suspect wormns and have her looked at.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Ed, she has only had puppy formula dog food & treats. I am not feeding her regular cooked rice, so nothing that would show up like that in her poop.

Though, I just checked on her & she was chewing on a rawhide that was Lexi's. Wonder if those little white bits might be pieces of rawhide that didn't digest.

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
That is a real possibility. I wasn't tyring to be nasty toward you. Just trying to promote you to think about what she may have eaten, and maybe what you saw was just something harmless passing through. Sounds like you may have come up with something that fits that thought.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ed, I didn't take your response as nasty. I asked a question & you made some suggestions.

I appreciate the help. In the meantime I spoke with someone with the rescue she is up for adoption through. They told me to give her the dose of worm stuff they gave me, so I did.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Small things that look like pieces of rice are usually tapeworm segments. Treatment for tapeworm with Praziquantel usually requires re-dosing. Depending on when and what they gave her at the rescue you might need something from your vet :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts