Just Labradors banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Duke is so hyper that I have decided not to try to teach him anything. He just can't handle pressure of any kind - freaks out and runs. He is housebroken and feels secure in his house and fenced in yard so I leave it at that. Lately noticed him trying to fit in with M&J and doing things I never taught him, he just imitates them. I never tried to force taking a picture of him, but yesterday when I put M&J in a sit/stay and pulled out the dreaded camera, look who came into the picture with them uninvited (sig pic below). I often line up M&J when I give treats, put the treat in front of them and tell them leave it until they get the OK. Duke has been lining up right next to them and leaves it also. He hasn't figured out yet that "OK" means he can take it, but he will.

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
Duke is so handsome! It's great that he's trying to fit in with Mitzi & Judy!

mitziandjudysmom said:
I often line up M&J when I give treats, put the treat in front of them and tell them leave it until they get the OK. Duke has been lining up right next to them and leaves it also. He hasn't figured out yet that "OK" means he can take it, but he will.
Aww! This made me smile.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
This made me smile. And they say dogs don't learn by watching other dogs. I will NEVER believe that, and your story just bore me up!

Frances

·
Registered
116 Posts
I think some dogs are just wired to learn from a pack. When Keri and I lived in Albany we just lived with her dog Seamus. He has an anxiety disorder and is on meds. But he was very difficul6t to train, barely making it through basic obedience. However he is a very smart dog seeing as he was able to figure out he could open doors with levered hardware. Since we moved out here with Peanut and Morgan, he has started minding his manners much better. Being part of a pack seems to have changed him in a lot of ways. Don't get me wrong he has his moments, but he is much more manageable with other dogs.

·
Registered
484 Posts
That is So Cute :) I see it with Bunny, she did learn stay really fast only becasue she was imitating her big sis and every now and then she doesnt come when I call her unless Bear is coming to me too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts