Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The news is now reporting that the dry food mfg by Menu Foods may also be contaminated.

It is also posted on one of the websites I've been following:

http://www.petsitusa.com/blog/

There is a link to another page that lists all of the foods NOT on the recall but I noted that a number of these foods are also made by Menu Foods. Just something to think about...

http://petsitusa.com/blog/?p=210

·
Registered
523 Posts
Thanks for posting that. Although I had already checked and Innova is not involved it was good to double check. I think the menu foods you mention are made in USA at a plant in S. Dakota.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Dry foods have not been effected by the recall so far (and aren't thought to be in danger of being recalled). The dry foods are manufactured at completely different plants than the recalled canned foods and use different ingredients and ingredient sources.

Just chunks-n-gravy types of pouched and canned foods manufactured with the specific lot numbers at that particular plant out of Canada.

The "dry foods" warning has been thought to be related to public fear and blame for unrelated pet illnesses and death.

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A friend just called me and said the news has confirmed that dry food has been affected. I'm searching for a link now.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
OK here is the FDA report from this mornings news conference (3/30/07). They say that some of the wheat gluten from the same shipment was shipped to another manufacturer who makes dry (kibble) food. They are not releasing the name of the company at this time until it is confirmed that the wheat gluten was used in pet food manufacture. Wheat gluten is also used in livestock feed and in human food. I don't know of any other uses for it yet and can't imagine to many for it.
There have been rumors that both Iams/eukanuba and another company's dry foods have been causing the same problems as the menu foods recalled foods. But these are still unconfirmed rumors, they are still going to have to do a feeding study to determine if this is true.
The FDA said they will issue a recall if they confirm that the wheat gluten has been used in dry pet foods.

http://www.petconnection.com/blog/2007/03/30/pet-food-recall-fda-press-conference-report/
Kelly and Amber

·
Registered
557 Posts
The only thing I've seen on the news is that there was no rat poision in the wet food!
It was a chemical used to make plastic.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
The new york lab is still standing by its report of the rat poison so there may in fact be two seperate things?!?! If this si true then there would almost certainly have to have been a diliberate

action.http://www.petconnection.com/blog/2007/03/30/pet-food-recall-fda-press-conference-report/

And after the FDA report I would be kinda scared to feed anything till they anounce where all the wheat gluten went. It seems that Menu foods did not get the entire load and that at least one other company got some of it. I am just hoping no human food manufacturers got any of it.

Kelly and Amber

·
Registered
8,330 Posts
...There have been rumors that both Iams/eukanuba and another company's dry foods have been causing the same problems as the menu foods recalled foods....
That's what has me scared- Caleb was eating Euk. L&R Puppy food until January. I checked their website earlier, and it still states that the dry foods aren't included in the recall. However, that was dated last Friday.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Yes, right now it is thought to be a completely different incident...the dry food in question appears to contain melamine, NOT the aminopterin (rodenticide) that was in the recalled canned/pouched foods, and is not linked so far to Menu foods.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
The FDA has said that the menu foods recall is caused by melamine and not the rat posion that was reported last week. The New york lab that reported the rodentcide still says that the poison was in the samples they had but hasn't been confirmed by the FDA.
So the contaminated wheat gluten was not just sold to Menu foods but at least one other dry (kibble) pet food manufacturer (they refuse to release the name till testing is done).
Go to Menu Foods website for their update.

Kelly and Amber

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
In accordance with its over-riding commitment to pet health and well-being, Hill’s Pet Nutrition, Inc. is voluntarily recalling Prescription Diet m/d Feline dry food from the market. Hill’s is taking this precautionary action because during a two-month period in early 2007, wheat gluten for this product was provided by a company that also supplied wheat gluten to Menu Foods. U.S. Food and Drug Administration tests of wheat gluten samples from this period show the presence of a small amount of melamine. Prescription Diet m/d Feline Dry represents less than one half of one percent of all Hill’s products.

the above is from the Hills website. 3/30/07 I wonder where they get the wheat gluten for their dog food now.

Kelly and Amber

1 - 20 of 30 Posts