Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
5,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We require all employees here to earn their CDL....which requires drug testing.

I have no problem with that. We were kind of forced to do something when one of our employees provided (we think) an apprentice from the tech school some drugs.

Damage control was that we installed the drug testing. (lost about 25% of the work force......which was about 15% less than I had anticipated. LOL)

What do folks think about that requirement for employment?

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
You're going to have to tell me what a CDL is before I can form an opinion. To me that's a california driver's license, but I'm pretty sure that isn't it.

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
Jobs where it can involve the safety of others, go for it. When I worked in the steel plant they required it, not a bad idea, don't myself want some guy moving a 15 ton girder with a crane near me to be impaired.

·
Registered
5,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You're going to have to tell me what a CDL is before I can form an opinion. To me that's a california driver's license, but I'm pretty sure that isn't it.
Commercial Drivers License.......there are many levels we require everyone get one of the lowest, provide training etc and pay all costs to get the license.

It's the only way to require drug testing here that we have found.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
There's a few cups around here i wouldn't mind peeing in.

Should i specify coffee cups or is that easily inferred? Well, there ya go.

·
Registered
5,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jobs where it can involve the safety of others, go for it. When I worked in the steel plant they required it, not a bad idea, don't myself want some guy moving a 15 ton girder with a crane near me to be impaired.
Well....we're a steel plant. Structural steel. ;)

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
If drugs will interfere with job performance - absolutely. They used to do it here yeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaars ago. I was randomly picked for a test and somehow passed. That's the day I stopped smoking pot.

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
Anything even vaguely safety related, then yes. If you're sitting in a cubicle, then not so much.

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
Bridge girders? Don't matter if being impared can hurt or kill others, go for it.

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
We test on hire, and for "do cause"! So anytime they can come up and ask you. I have no problem with that. In 16yrs. I've only seen the "do cause" take place 3 times- none of those employees came back to work! But then I think folks should have to pass a urine drug screen before getting there unemployment checks or food stamps!

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
The assumption is you have a job that needs to be done right, no matter what it is. You want to work for me, be drug free.

·
Registered
5,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Anything even vaguely safety related, then yes. If you're sitting in a cubicle, then not so much.
Which presented a topic of discussion for us. Is it fair to only require certain parts of the company.....IE the shop to be tested. You are not allowed just the test the people in "Dangerous" jobs.

We require it of everyone. (we did not lose anyone in management)

Like I said I don't think it is legal for us to require drug testing......but we can require the license. Because it's a federal thing it overrides our state laws.

We can and do require pre-employment .......post job offer testing. But you can't do random testing. Also if you suspect someone is under the influence (actually no one is really qualified to do that, but that's another story) and you say anything or have them tested.......The company is responsible....IE if you send them home and they wreck someone, you are responsible.....if you drive them home and leave them....and they decide to drive and wreck someone.....you are responsible. You own them for 24 hours.

It must be a law written by someone on drugs I am thinking.

·
Registered
13,130 Posts
But then I think folks should have to pass a urine drug screen before getting there unemployment checks or food stamps!
What a concept! I would love this to happen. We would probably save billions in assistance if this were the case.

Yes, I think drug testing is fine. I had to be tested before I started here 10 years ago.

·
Registered
5,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bridge girders? Don't matter if being impared can hurt or kill others, go for it.
yup.......we do some single span bridge's......steel framed buildings, also railings, stairs etc. Anything that is steel in a building.

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
Used to be a certified welder before the carpal tunnel took me out, miss it at times, but heck, I now have one of the most fun jobs in the world.;)

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
DH has his CDL and for this to be in effect he must have DOT physical every 2 yrs and they do drug testing at that time as well. He also had to do a pre-employment drug testing and is subject to random testing as well.

If the drivers are involved in an accident, automatic drug testing, no ifs, ands or buts, even if the accident is not their fault.

Me, I had pre-employment and nothing else since I sit on my fat ass behind a desk and monitor JL all day! :)

·
Registered
5,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Used to be a certified welder before the carpal tunnel took me out, miss it at times, but heck, I now have one of the most fun jobs in the world.;)
That's cool.

I haven't welded in years....had my upbringing in HVAC....then precision/aerospace etc and now structural. I love to go down on the floor and run a few beads. They like it too......now they try to trick me and mess with the welded before I weld.....LOL. That wasn't working and now the try to do it while I am welding.

Here is a little bridge job we did at the local community boathouse.

And the short one.

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
We have pre-employment and random drug testing here. Even those of us who sit at a desk clear up through management. It's not just the guys in the plant. If there's an accident, that's the first thing they do. They also test for alcohol. The only person I know that has been let go here tested positive for alcohol, not drugs.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts