Just Labradors banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which brand do you use?
I'm thinking of getting one. TIA

(We have an electric dremel, but that is for heavy duty jobs...not for toenails.)

·
Registered
922 Posts
I had a rechargeable Dremel but it seemed like it always ran out of charge about halfway through the second dog. To be fair, this was because I would forget to plug it in to recharge. I now use an Osterizer corded dog nail sander. It is a good bit lighter and easier to maneuver than the Dremel was, and it's always ready to use and doesn't run out of juice in the middle of the job.

·
Registered
7,052 Posts
I use the MiniDremel. It has two speeds; 5000 and 10,000 rpm. It's rechargable and doesn't make a lot of noise.

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
I have an electric variable speed dremel. The slow speeds work fine for toenails. Then I can also use it for household projects too.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
We have my mom's dremel that she never plugged in (see Labsrme). ;)

While it is annoying to have to charge it before using it, I don't like the frantically high-pitched whine of the plug-in type. Also, the plug-in one seems to be going at impossible speeds, and then slows waaaay down when it touches the nail. I think it just kind of freaks me out, honestly.

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks so far. Will check to see if they have any that you use in the catalogues this weekend.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Labsrme said:
I had a rechargeable Dremel but it seemed like it always ran out of charge about halfway through the second dog. To be fair, this was because I would forget to plug it in to recharge. I now use an Osterizer corded dog nail sander. It is a good bit lighter and easier to maneuver than the Dremel was, and it's always ready to use and doesn't run out of juice in the middle of the job.
We have said Dremel that was retired. ;D

It works fine for us, but we only have one set of nails to do. When we add another dog in the future, we may have to look at getting something else.

ETA: Sorry for the repeat post. I didn't realize Katherine had posted.

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
I have the plug in Dremel (brand). I'm not sure which model though. I found it in my SUs tool cabinet. ;D It has many speeds but I use the lowest one.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I use a dremel that is not cordless, I bought it off of ebay. It has a low and a high speed. It just says dremel on the box, it came with lots of attachments but we only use the sander one.

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
This is the one I have
http://www.dremel.com/en-us/tools/tool-detail.htm?H=188091&G=66204&I=69677
I bought it at Lowes for $39.95. It works great it's cordless and mine came with a bag and a bunch of different bits and accessories. You can buy a bunch of others too for cutting and all sorts of stuff. So it's not just something for Mocha's nails I can use it for other things as well.

I've done her nails at least 6 times with it and have not had to recharge it yet I also leave it running quite a bit to get Mocha used to the noise at first so the battery lasts a long time now. Hopefully it doesn't die too quickly.

I also noiticed tt's also the exact same one our vet uses. I normally use the low setting for Mocha's nails.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
i have a dremel multipro cordless. it has to 2 speeds. i still use clippers to cut and then the dremel to make them look better.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts