Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like millions of other people, in January I started Weight Watchers...it went really well for the first 6 weeks...I lost around 10 pounds...then, some things happened in my life that through me off balance, I dropped out of weight watchers and didn't really give it another thought at the time...

Fast forward a couple of months, I met a new guy and somehow the topic of weight came up...I think I was so fed up with guys being disrespectful over my pudginess that before we went out I told him I am 5'7 and weigh 155 (I HONESTLY thought that was my weight)...I figured if he still wanted to go out with me, the cards were on the table...he didn't seem to care and the topic never came up again...until one morning about 2 weeks ago, he stepped on my scale and said "WOW, I think your scale is broken"...at first, I thought from the way he said it that the scale was higher than his actual weight...he started laughing...(I should have known if he was laughing, I wasn't going to be happy)...he said "well...you know how you thought you weighed 155? Ummm...well, you don't"....LOL...apparently my scale is off by 6 or 7 pounds (NOT in my favor)!! That was a rude awakening and made me really think it might be time to head back to WW...

Last week, I ran into a friend of mine who is 20 years older than me and lost over 40 pounds in the past 6 months on WW and looks FABULOUS...needless to say, I decided it is time to get my own life back in order and head back...

Tonight is the big night...I am TERRIFIED to step on the scale...I spent the last 5 days eating well and working out hoping to at least halt any further gain prior to getting on the scale, but tonight will be the moment of truth...I KNOW I am no thinner than the last time I officially weighed in but I REALLY hope I am not any heavier...that will crush me...

So, here it is...I am promising in writing that if I am spared any further gain tonight I WILL follow through this time and get back in shape....if I am heavier, I will cry, but I will get back on track and stick to it...

Anyone else in a similar boat?

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
I keep fluctuating in a 10-15 lb range. I need to just get serious and stick with a routine.

It can be very difficult... real life so often rears its' head and we go back to the same habits that helped us before. I think once you get into a routine (remember to make it something you LIKE) you can keep it up and make it your normal routine.

Diets don't work in the long run. You have to find new routine that you can sustain.

(I hate "working out" so I walk... a lot. I don't like eliminating certain kinds of foods... so I calorie count and walk more on the days where I indulged... I think twice about any "luxury" calorie like an alchoholic drink or desert... and think... do I really WANT that bad enough to feel guilty about it later?)

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree, diets don't work...I used to take spin class 3 times a week and work out another 3 times doing the treadmill or eliptical...then I fell off track and once the weight started creeping on, I was less and less motivated to go to the gym and when I wasn't going to the gym, I started eating crap...cycle of disaster!

I started back at spin 2 times a week and I am trying to figure out my work out schedule...while I think most of the battle is what I put in my mouth, I know I am more conscious of it when I am working out...

I will know tonight how bad the "official" weight is, but I am thinking I need to lose around 30-35 pounds (after 20 pounds, I will at least feel "decent") ...I wish a "Biggest Loser" was on now to help keep me motivated!

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Will the new boy toy be supportive?
Ha! He is awesome...the relationship is still pretty new (3 months) so I suppose it is too soon to really tell, but he is also one of the reasons I want to get back in shape...I figure if he likes me fat and doesn't care, he deserves for me to be the best I can be...in a way it is kind of a challenge to "wow" him.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Try not to be so hard on yourself. Do you feel good? Are you healthy? Thats whats important no matter what someone else says. Don't be crushed if the scale says you gained. Work on a healthy routine for you, make good choices and feel good about it. If WW works for you thats great, but pay attention to how the program works for you and try to follow as best as you can. I wish you well.

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
I, on the other hand, love working out. But my big downfall, is I think if I work out, I don't have to give up the things I like. I do eat healthy most of the time but that last 15 pounds just won't come off. Plus it's harder as you get older. For me it is, anyway. Don't obsess about the scale. Muscle weighs more than fat and as you're getting in shape the scale might not go down as fast as you like. I agree with Bucksmom, just try to be healthy and get to the point where you feel good about yourself. The scale doesn't matter. Good luck tonight!

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Weigh in tonight; write the figure on a piece of paper; crumple it up; toss.

Five days of ultra-attentiveness isn't/shouldn't make that much of a difference in your overall weight or health.

This is the beginning. Grit your teeth, muster your courage, and go forth to a healthier you.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys!

I do realize I didn't put the weight on overnight, it won't come off overnight and I am not really scale obsessed, but I am NOWHERE near fitting into my clothes...I am spending the summer in moo moos and sweat pants...my goal is to look halfway decent in a pair of jeans by the fall (I can hide under sundresses for the summer while I am working on it and I can avoid a bathing suit, but come the fall, I need to see results)

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
Thanks guys!

I do realize I didn't put the weight on overnight, it won't come off overnight and I am not really scale obsessed, but I am NOWHERE near fitting into my clothes...I am spending the summer in moo moos and sweat pants...my goal is to look halfway decent in a pair of jeans by the fall (I can hide under sundresses for the summer while I am working on it and I can avoid a bathing suit, but come the fall, I need to see results)

my only suggestion is to track your weight/measurements in a spreadsheet or something similar. It is very motivating to pull out when you have had enough of the gym and see your slow steady decline in the numbers.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
I am constantly struggling with my weight - I am 5'6" and would LOVE to weigh 155lbs! It's all in how you look at it I guess.

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
my only suggestion is to track your weight/measurements in a spreadsheet or something similar. It is very motivating to pull out when you have had enough of the gym and see your slow steady decline in the numbers.

Good Luck!
ABSOLUTELY!!! You may think that losing 1.5 - 2 lbs a week is nothing. But looking back at the total downward trend, it's very exciting!!!

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
ABSOLUTELY!!! You may think that losing 1.5 - 2 lbs a week is nothing. But looking back at the total downward trend, it's very exciting!!!

6 years ago I lost in excess of 23kgs. I did this Dan and when I reached my goal weight and added up all the cm's and kg's i'd shed I was so proud of myself - those figures helped me keep that weight off!! Nothing else would have.

I also highly recommend measuring key areas on your body as well as using the scales. Measurements are far more accurate, especially when you are doing regular weight training.

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Pix can help track progress, too.....

·
Registered
14,287 Posts
I don't watch the scale. 3 months ago I took a 10 week running program and now run 5k 4 times a week. I am down 2 opants sizes. that is how I judge. Not going for numbers, going for "feel". I'll know when I get where I want to be. My motivation comes from the fitting room, not the scale =)

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well...it wasn't too bad! I was up .6 from the last time...no big deal...I am back on track...I went out to eat last night with friends and did fine...unfortunately, at the end of the night, I was DYING for dessert or an alcoholic beverage so I called it a night and went home so I didn't do anything I regret.

Hopefully I will start seeing results and that will continue to motivate me...

I take all my measurements regularly...that is a great way to track!

Thanks for the encouragement!

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
I found that if I think in small increments I won't get as discouraged. Instead of thinking "gosh I need to lose 30 pounds", think "I'm going to lose 5 pounds." Then when you do it, think another 5 pounds or whatever until you find you've lost the 30 you wanted to lose.

When I thought about losing the 40 pounds and then after awhile I hadn't, many times I'd get depressed and think "why do I bother?"

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
I found that if I think in small increments I won't get as discouraged. Instead of thinking "gosh I need to lose 30 pounds", think "I'm going to lose 5 pounds." Then when you do it, think another 5 pounds or whatever until you find you've lost the 30 you wanted to lose.

When I thought about losing the 40 pounds and then after awhile I hadn't, many times I'd get depressed and think "why do I bother?"
I totally agree, but I think to myself "I want to lose one to two pounds this week." My goal is 100 pounds, which seems insurmountable when you look at the total. So I have to break it down into much smaller amounts. I rejoice and thank God for each and every pound I lose!

·
Registered
13,418 Posts
i have a series of pictures starting back in 2001. it's amazing how much fat you can stuff into a pair of sweatpants.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Well .6 is great!

I too am doing the weight watchers thing, and so far, so good. I think I may have had a bad week this week, but I'll know in two hours when I weigh in.

I've taken to a) riding my bike to work instead of driving (and believe it or not, I shave 10 minutes off my commute!) b) eating better and c) being a lot happier now that I am smaller.

My next goal is to lose 15 lbs by my birthday and another 15 by christmas, which is totally do-able!

I find the 3 fat chicks on a diet forum really nice and helpful, there's a weight watchers section too, and a spot for pictures and some really good advice (I like the fabulous food finds section.)

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/

1 - 20 of 21 Posts