Just Labradors banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Geez. This has pretty much consumed my life for the past 24 hours.

Took Simon to the vet this morning. He was very puzzled that Simon has come down with it too, as he said it is not something that is usually passed between dogs. He did a little more intensive culture than with Angus, and asked if we had done anything to our yard recently.

Of course I don't use chemicals back there (or anywhere), except for teensy amounts of Roundup. But I told him I had noticed that our mulch this year has been growing an inordinate amount of mushrooms and fungus.

Simon's slide came back "loaded with fungal spores."

It almost has to be the mulch. :( That stupid mulch. I should have known. You can tell to look at it that it's fungus-y. WHY did I use this in the backyard???

Well, I guess the good news is, it's not an allergy, which would be a much bigger PITA to figure out. But this is not going to be easy, either. Mom and I are debating how to attack this tomorrow. Our tentative plan is to remove all the mulch, spray with vinegar (hoping that this doesn't hurt the plants), put down landscape fabric and leave everything to bake for a couple of weeks with no mulch. Then, if we replace it, use pine bark which is more acidic and thus a less hospitable environment for fungus.

This is all I've got, so far. :confused:

I'm still worried that fungal spores can travel...so would that mean we need to remove all the front yard mulch too? ALL of this mulch sucks. NatureScapes from Home Depot, if you're wondering. :mad:

I'm so frustrated...

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
You can get anti-fungal landscape sprays - I used to use it on my roses all the time for black spot.

So sorry - I have never heard of anything like this before. How awful for you and the boys!

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks y'all.

Well, I also posted the question on gardenweb, and someone posted that a fungus in the garden wouldn't cause a fungal skin infection. Different types of fungus.

That puts me back to zero.

I still don't understand why they would both come up with this at the same time. I just refuse to believe that they were both stricken with an allergy within four days of each other. That's just way too coincidental. It's got to be something they were both exposed to.

:confused:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts