Just Labradors banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. Long time lurker, seldom poster. I have a wonderful 5 year old yellow lab named sammie. I've just been told my hours have been cut back. I work for a high tech industry that is really suffering. I currently feed Sam California Natural Lamb and Rice. I pay $50 for 30 lbs. I want to temporarily downgrade sam's food. I know Labby Laura feeds Proplan. How can I get past worrying about the corn in Proplan. Do they have a lamb and rice? I do not have a costco in Fort collins, CO. I would love some input on downgrading Sam's food. I don't want him eating roadkill. I"m really worried about all of this. Thanks. Julie

·
Registered
423 Posts
You can buy chicken for about $28 for 40lbs or less if you can buy thru a catalogue in bulk. Feeding whole fresh food can actuall be a step up from what you are feeding. Of course it does require a bit more work, but not much.

Kelly and Amber

·
Registered
213 Posts
Hi Kelly,

The Pro Plan Sensitive Skin and Stomach, and the Pro Plan Salmon Selects formula, both do not contain any corn. It might be a choice for the temporary downgrade, and soothe your conscience at the same time. :)

·
Registered
12,420 Posts
I have to add, looking at Laura's bunch, Pro Plan seems an excellent choice for dog food. We are seriously thinking of switching the girls to Pro Plan.

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
It comes down to feeding what works. I recently tried to change due to the price, smaller bag sizes that the dog food companies seem to be doing lately. The coats fell apart and the stools became very soft. So I switched back to the PP Selects and everything settled down almost immediately, so that's what I feed.

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
I agree with Amber. ;)

Unfortunately, I'm a big believer that you get what you pay for when it comes to dog food.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
if it works well for you and your dogs it's fine - it's finding what works for you that can be the trick

I thought along the same lines as Amber - perhaps you could cut back the amount of kibble to 3/4 and supplement the rest with less expensive either fresh food (my choice) or another kibble.. if you are worried about taking your current food right out of his diet

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
It comes down to feeding what works. I recently tried to change due to the price, smaller bag sizes that the dog food companies seem to be doing lately. The coats fell apart and the stools became very soft. So I switched back to the PP Selects and everything settled down almost immediately, so that's what I feed.
I've done the same thing, tried a cheaper option that caused gas and soft stools. :( We are both out of work, but I am feeding Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream at ~$42.99 a 30-lb. bag. If my guys would do okay on PP, I would feed it.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I am sorry Laura, I didn't mean to infer that Pro Plan was a downgrade, I should have put "downgrade" into quotation marks. :)

I am very happy with the Pro Plan Salmon Selects at my house, it is not a
"downgraded" food on any account. Everyone here (4 dogs) eats it, and has great coats, stools, and eat with gusto! I get a good deal on bulk bags, 6 or more, so it is cost effective too.

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
I am lucky that Sammi does just fine with Diamond natural Chicken and Rice- Nice coat, no itching or skin problems, no ear problems etc. it can be picked up at a lot of differant stores, not just Costco. If I were needing to change would probably go with the pp select.

·
Registered
8,472 Posts

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
First, do you really know what your annual dog food bill is? You may be surprised at how cheap it really is to feed your dog a premium food. Next, what do you have to lose by changing? Have you looked at vet bills? :eek:

I'd suggest cutting down elsewhere. Toys, lattes, videos, whatever.... NOT dog food. Stay w/ what works for your dog. My 2cents. ;) Anne

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
I also cringe each time I pay the $60 dollars for 30 lbs of Innova Evo for the dogs. I have fed Diamond, and ProPlan, and really didn't have any complaints about either one, and the dogs really seemd OK. But I believe that dogs wouldn't naturally eat much grain (I believe that for people too, but I don't eat as healthy as my dogs do) I think that they do a little better on Innova Evo, and certainly the poops are great, but would not feel I was doing them a diservice to switch back to ProPlan if needed. I did try Call of the Wild once, and we had all kinds of problems, including my first ever probelm with fleas! Not sure why, but won't feed that again! But also do check on the overall price of feeding each food. I only feed Skippy 2 cups a day, and Emilu about 1 and 1/2 cups and they are happy. (get some high quality training treats each day too), whereas you might have to feed a little more of a less expensive food. A 30 lb bag lasts us about 1 month for 2 large labs.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks so much for your responses. I apologise, Laura, for the comment about Proplan being a downgrade. Your dogs always have beautiful coats. Proplan is the brand I'm considering because of your and other JL positive comments on it. What type of Proplan do you feed for the most part?

Sam has firm stools, very little gas and a very nice coat. Things are definately not broke on California Natural Lamb and Rice.

I've already decided to give up Comcast cable until things get better. I remember using rabbit ears after I divorced my husband and went back to college while my son was little. We didn't seem to mind.:) I'm also planning of changing my cell phone to pay as I go because I don't use it very much...also, I'm going to start hauling my own garbage to the dump.

I'm keeping internet to work at home sometimes...also, who knows I may need to look for another job at some point.

Which would you give up first, cable or internet?

Amazon Gold, I hope you and husband find something soon.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Like Bob PR said try Diamond Natural. Go to the stock shop/feed & seed/farm supply in your area. They should carry it and other brands of Lamb and Rice. I know Costco is not that much cheaper than the stock shop is for Diamond Natural here.

I woud do the math before you buy anything new. Figure out how much you will feeding and how many cups are in the bag. Cinnamon and Cierra eat Natures Variety Instinct because it works for them. With tax is it a little over $50 for a 25.3 pound bag but a bag last me 6 weeks. It is totally grain free. They both eat a little over 2 cups a day. If I switched them to a food with grain in it they would eat 4 cups so I wouldn't save money.

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
if you are concerned about corn; i used to feed the ProPlan Sensitive Skin and Stomach; I don't think it has corn.

get yourself the converter box if you don't have digital tv. you should be able to get most stations through that. i would ditch cable before internet as you can also watch a lot of movies and tv programs online....as well as chat with friends! :)

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Call the local Feed shops around you and look for Diamond Naturals Lamb & Rice. It's a tad more than the Kirkland. Diamond makes the Kirkland product. You should consider Costco though, you'd probably still save money, and it's not that far south, I think there is one in the Thornton area.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.