Just Labradors banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the dogs that is in the dog rescue I volunteer for has a double dewclaw on one of his back feet. The dog is (we think) a Lab/Newfie mix. He's adorable and such a good boy. We just got him a week ago, so we don't even have pictures yet or anything, otherwise I would show you!

Anyways, he's got this double dewclaw and we are trying to figure out whether or not we should remove them. The one is only attached by skin, so I don't think that would be problematic, but the other one to which this one is attached is on there pretty well.

Would it be better to get them both removed and call it a day? Would dewclaws in the back get caught more than the ones on the front legs??

Thanks!

Justine

·
Registered
5,788 Posts
There are a number of breeds with double dewclaws in the back - if its big and shaggy, my guess is there's a great pyrenees in the background.

My opinion? IF the dog is going under for neutering or another reason, get the loose dews removed. Otherwise, I'd probably leave them...

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Schatzi has rear dewclaws, and yes they're very loose and floppy lol, but I keep them trimmed short and so far she hasn't had any problems with them. Next time she goes under anesthesia for something I plan on having them removed, but I'm not putting her under for just that. If he's getting neutered, then I'd just have them clip them off at the same time - kill two birds with one stone. :)

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
This made me remember - when we got Crash he had those dewclaws on the back. I wonder if he had some Pyrenees somewhere in there? He certainly had the size for it.

We had his removed, I think when he was neutered.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts