Just Labradors banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We took a friend, her black lab rescue, Jack, and our two pups to the boat this past weekend. We stayed at the dock, but the puppers all had a good time hanging out together (and with us). Toby and Chamois have been on board before, but we still haven't taken them out under sail - just getting them used to getting on and off, hanging in the cockpit, and going up and down the companionway stairs. Jack had never been on the boat, though his Mom sails with us regularly.

In the car on the way down (notice how much shorter Jack is):

Toby looking down into the cabin:

Looking up at Toby and Jack in the cockpit (we hadn't yet removed prong collars for the walk through the marina, they do not keep them on when on board):

We'll probably start sailing with Toby and Chamois soon since they're getting so sure-footed on it now - it was a real challenge to get them confident about getting on and off from/to the dock at first. I'm not sure how they'll feel the first time the boat heels over under sail. And yes, they'll have to wear lifejackets when we go out on the bay...

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for asking. I've been very busy, but in a good way. Between work (which is going very well), the professional MBA program I'm enrolled in part-time, and just life in general it seems like there's very little time for chatting here!

Also, the boat dominates the weekends, whether or not we take it out. I'm really focusing on learning how to sail. It's not something I've had much experience with before, but I love it. (On the other hand, I flew hang gliders for 10 years, so I understand weather and wind pretty well and sailing is a bit like soaring in two dimensions.) I'm also very proud of the fact that I can dock the boat - it's 40 feet long and about 20,000 pounds so a lot of boat to steer around!

Oh, and last weekend was my 40th birthday. Mark threw me a HUGE (surprise) party and it was absolutely wonderful. Though I'm still trying a little bit to wrap my mind around the number...

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
Happy 40th!! :)

And I love your pictures... Jack looks so cute in the first one cause he's so much shorter than the others!

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Happy 40th!! :)

And I love your pictures... Jack looks so cute in the first one cause he's so much shorter than the others!

Jack IS cute. He's a rescue from STLRR here in Houston and I actually arranged to have him sent to his Mom when we were all in Libya (she worked over there with us). He and our two guys are BEST friends, and all remembered each other once we were all back here. And we're ALL happy to be back! But he's so mch smaller than our monsters it's pretty funny to see them all together.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Wow, sailing is so neat, and that will be one awesome experience with your labs in tow! I wish I lived somewhere where my fiance and I could get into that!
Happy 40th!

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
Looks like some happy pups! Happy 40th, I have loved my 40's and am not even worried that next yr. I will be looking at 50, its just a number:)

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Glad to see you around again.

Happy Birthday. The dogs look wonderful. Good luck with boat...keep us posted on how they like it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts