Just Labradors banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got back from taking Tal on a walk. We passed this one house where a dog was barking like crazy behind a fence. I had Tal on the retractible leash and when he heard the dog barking he just bolted. Of course, when the leash reached 26' Tal stopped cold. I think he wanted me to come to him but I made him come to me. We then proceeded on our walk without incident. I didn't react one way or the other. I figured the less I showed the less likely he would be to get skittish when he hears another dog bark.

Also, I started weaning him off the prong collar tonight. I had it on him, but hooked up his flat collar. The biggest problem was him stopping to sniff. But if I kept going, when he felt the nudge on the collar he came right along. Not ready to go regular collar exclusively yet but one step at a time!

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
Well, I feel for Tal, as my dogs bark at people passing with dogs also. Our back yard is fenced, but the can see the street from the sides of the house. This spring we're putting up privacy fencing, so they're not so crazed when they see another dog.

Have to say though that I'm personally not a fan of retractable leashes - especially when using a prong. A retractable always has tension with it; hence making incorrect use of the prong. That's JMO.

Tal has turned out to be such a handsome boy!

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MyLabsMom said:
Well, I feel for Tal, as my dogs bark at people passing with dogs also. Our back yard is fenced, but the can see the street from the sides of the house. This spring we're putting up privacy fencing, so they're not so crazed when they see another dog.

Have to say though that I'm personally not a fan of retractable leashes - especially when using a prong. A retractable always has tension with it; hence making incorrect use of the prong. That's JMO.

Tal has turned out to be such a handsome boy!
What made his running away so noticeable is that he never has seemed to care...I think since it was dark and he didn't see where they were maybe had something to do with it...who knows

Tal's prong collar is pretty loose so even with a little tension it doesn't close to where he feels it. It has to be given a good jerk in order for him to feel the pinch. Form the most part, it is as close to off leash as I can come for him right now.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts