Just Labradors banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apollo has a habit of peeing when he gets excited. He's a lab, so he gets excited alot lol ;) He pees on the stairs (carpeted) that are by the front door EVERY day. I don't mind cleaning it up, he's still a puppy (1 year old or younger we think) but the carpet is starting to change color from his pee! Yikes! :eek: We rent and I don't want this bleached out stain to get bigger. My landlord will shoot me. Its the first thing you see when ya walk in the door. Does anyone have ideas on how to protect the carpet in this spot? Other then a doggy diaper. Someone suggested it to me, but I don't know if that would be ok to do. I can't put tarp down or anything cuz its on such an akward spot (the stairs) Any help would be greatly appreciated. BTW I clean up the stains IMMEDIATLY after they occur, but its still turning the carpet lighter in the areas he pees. Help please.

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
What are you using to clean up his pee? I think that whatever it is is the bleaching culprit as opposed to his pee! You might try renting or borrowing a steam cleaner, and then using your cleaning product over the whole area, to even out the colour. I had to do that once after stupidly using oxyclean on a spot. It worked though, my carpet was all one colour after that!

I'm pretty sure that for submissive peeing or excited peeing, there's not a whole lot you can do. I suppose you could put some doggy diapers on him, but how is that different then your not wanting him to sit in a crate of pee and get ammonia burns?

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is why I don't want to get him doggy diapers. The ammonia. and I'm sure he'd destory them AND I don't think its fair to him.

As for the cleaner bleaching the carpet, nope. I bought a product and tested it on the corner of the carpet and it didn't bleach the carpet. The 8-in-1 product I bought is specifically made to NOT alter carpet color.

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
Apollopuppy said:
That is why I don't want to get him doggy diapers. The ammonia. and I'm sure he'd destory them AND I don't think its fair to him.

As for the cleaner bleaching the carpet, nope. I bought a product and tested it on the corner of the carpet and it didn't bleach the carpet. The 8-in-1 product I bought is specifically made to NOT alter carpet color.
Darn it. I thought for sure it was your carpet cleaner. I've never had pee stain the carpet before. I don't know what to tell you now, other then good luck.

I've never yet had an excited pee-er, so I don't know how to help there.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats ok! You offered some suggestions and helped as much as ya could. I appreciate that.

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
Here's an idea; at Home Depot/Lowes you can buy a plastic runner for a stair case to protect stairs, usually used in a high traffic area. I'm not sure how it attached, but it might be worth taking a run down to the home improvement store to check it out. A few tack holes in the corners of your stairs might be a lot less obvious than the pee stain...

Let me know if this idea pans out!

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
oooo! Thats a good idea. I didn't know they made runners for the stairs! I gotta go check that out!

·
Registered
12,928 Posts
I have a male doggie wrap that I put on my shizu/cocker mix. He marks to tell the labs everything is his! ::) You can get them at Petsmart, but I've seen them online for cheaper.
http://www.petsmart.com/global/prod...t=male+wrap&In=All&previousText=male+wrap&N=2

Dutch and River get excited and have peed running down the stairs. It's a pain to get up as it isn't in one spot but drips down the stairs. Try using some hydrogen peroxide. It's worked for me in getting stains out.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Momma to J and A said:
Here's an idea; at Home Depot/Lowes you can buy a plastic runner for a stair case to protect stairs,
Exactly what I was thinking - they have little plastic nubs on the bottom to keep it from sliding on the carpeting.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
lol. Tried hydrogen peroxide. It changed the carpet color too lol my landlord's gunna murder me! As for the male wrap, I think it might work. i was thinking about the ammonia problem. I realize that what would happen is I'd come home, he'd get excited, pee in the diaper, then I'd change it. So he wouldn't even be in the "diaper" with the urine in it for a whole minute. Does anyone have experience with these "diapers"? Are they a good choice for a HOUSEBROKEN (yeah! he's finally housebroken!) dog that just has a little leakage/excitment pee when I come home???

·
Registered
12,928 Posts
Yep, I've used them for my own dogs and for fosters. And they wash up really good. I'd get 2 pair so you can have a spare in the waiting, if one gets dirty! ;)

·
Registered
12,420 Posts
OK, if the pee area is lighter than the rest, is it because it's bleaching out or is that part of the carpet cleaner than the rest? We have an old (15yo) toy Fox terrier that has had numerous accidents and we have found that since I tend to over do, the lighter spots are the clean ones. :eek: Needless to say the next warm day we have I'm cleaning my carpets. ::)

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the suggestion about the male doggy diapers. That looks pretty reasonable. We will give it a try and see what happens.

rushpuppy said:
OK, if the pee area is lighter than the rest, is it because it's bleaching out or is that part of the carpet cleaner than the rest? We have an old (15yo) toy Fox terrier that has had numerous accidents and we have found that since I tend to over do, the lighter spots are the clean ones. :eek: Needless to say the next warm day we have I'm cleaning my carpets. ::)
LOL maybe it is lighter because its clean. We will have to see when we clean the carpet on the stairs. Boy I hope its lighter just because its clean lol

·
Registered
549 Posts
I bought a few cheap matts that I left in the spots that the accidents happened. When they did, I just changed the matt and put another down. It was the rubber backed matts so the urine couldn't go through. The matts were easy to wash. Our little spaniel did the same thing as Apollo. She outgrew the piddling
Pat

1 - 14 of 14 Posts